VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Which Should I File First?

Rate this question

Craig63

Question

I was recently awarded 50% SC for PTSD. I has been getting 20% SC for an eye injury that I suffered in the Marine Corps. I was hoping that I would get a combined total of at least 70% so I could apply for IU, but VA math says 50 plus 20 equals only 60 so it put me right under where I wanted to be.

I also suffer from depression and anxiety as a result of PTSD that keeps me from holding a job effectively. The VA diagnosed me with these at the same time as the PTSD last year. The DAV rep told me that it would be best to go for the PTSD and get approved for that and then go for the secondary conditions.

My question is this: Should I just appeal the decision for the PTSD for a higher rating or file a claim for extra percentages for the secondary conditions.

Also, I read about guys filing an appeal or a new claim and for IU at the same time, hoping that another 10 or 20 percent would put them over enough for the required minimum 70% for IU. Does anybody know anything about this or what I should do?

One more thing. I would also like to see if I can get approved for SSDI. Should I file for this now or wait? Would it make the IU easier to get if I were already approved for SSDI or vice versa?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I believe you could file for both at the same time, increase and tdiu. I've heard that ssdi helps tdiu too. Have you reviewed what it takes to get SSDI? best to ya, cg

I was recently awarded 50% SC for PTSD. I has been getting 20% SC for an eye injury that I suffered in the Marine Corps. I was hoping that I would get a combined total of at least 70% so I could apply for IU, but VA math says 50 plus 20 equals only 60 so it put me right under where I wanted to be.

I also suffer from depression and anxiety as a result of PTSD that keeps me from holding a job effectively. The VA diagnosed me with these at the same time as the PTSD last year. The DAV rep told me that it would be best to go for the PTSD and get approved for that and then go for the secondary conditions.

My question is this: Should I just appeal the decision for the PTSD for a higher rating or file a claim for extra percentages for the secondary conditions.

Also, I read about guys filing an appeal or a new claim and for IU at the same time, hoping that another 10 or 20 percent would put them over enough for the required minimum 70% for IU. Does anybody know anything about this or what I should do?

One more thing. I would also like to see if I can get approved for SSDI. Should I file for this now or wait? Would it make the IU easier to get if I were already approved for SSDI or vice versa?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Craig - please keep in mind that ALL mental issues are rated under the general rating schedule. Therefore, you will not receive a seperate rating for depression and anxiety. Bottom line is you can only have one rating for mental issues.

My suggestion would be, if you can not work, file the NOD for the increase in the PTSD and U/I at same time. I would also file for SSDI if unable to work. Good luck

Hi Craig,

One way it may work file for a increas in PTSD from 50 to 70 that will put you in the zone for UI they will send you the form when you have 70 or more This is what I have to do.

At the same time NOW put in for SSDI, you can do it your self or get help I got help it is a new ball game I got help

And KEEP all your records/info as with me they have lost some of the forms again that is number 5 in 4 weeks so keep all and check everthing.

The very best to you, Sgt Mac

ps how come my posting number is 0 ?