VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Should I Do?

Rate this question

I Corps 1970

Question

I have a claim in with the VA for PTSD so I thought I would also file for SSD. I emailed my conditions (PTSD, major depression, anxiety and alcohol dependance) to Allsup. I followed up with a phone call and was told they would not represent me because there is no way to prove which condition came first.

I have to be honest with my claims, so how does one justify the fact that the PTSD symtoms where the cause of the other conditions, resulting in self medication and dependence to both the VA & Social Security?

Thirty-eight years ago I had no idea what was wrong with me.

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

First of all you really don't need to prove which came first but almost all who have PTSD have issues with alcohol and drugs. People with anxiety use them to make things better and for most it works till it turns on you.

I would not be to worried that you were turned down by Allsup you really can do it your self. Social Security will look at your Medical Records and than send you to their Docs. I got Social Security about 4 months after I applied.

Hadit can help you with your claims.

Good Luck

If you are still drinking the VA can help you or you can try AA they can help you.

• HadIt.com Elder

they are two seperate and totally different claims with SSD you have to be completely disabled on the other hand the VA can find you disabled to a percentage 10%, 30% 50%, 70% or 100% but if the SSD finds you totally disabled by your PTSD it does help your claim with the VA is they try and claim you are SC at a lower rate many vets try and get the VA to SX them before they apppy for SSD they should file both claims at the same time in my case SSD was approved in 5 months the VA took 2 1/2 years to award 50% and then a year later after filinf a NOD they awarded me 100% schedular for PTSD and gave me back pay to Dec 2003 if the VA finds you 100% disabled by PTSD then SSD is usually awarded to there has been a push lately to try to make them recognixe the others awards because it is absurd for one govt agency to find you totally disabled and another to try and claim you aren't good luck I would file it anywat with or withour Allsup

• HadIt.com Elder

I Corp:

Glad that you are working on the drinking. I think that you can wait to notify either VA or Social Security when they make a decision but I would make sure that Social Security is aware of treatment at VA and also your diagnosis there. Social Security in all likelyhood will make a decison before the VA. They will also send you to see their Docs and you should request copies so that you can use as evidence for VA claim after you review them of course.

Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder

I Corps, you should find you a local attorney to help. A good one that has the network of Doctors to help. They can be a great asset in getting an IMO from an Occupational Doc that says you cannot work and also fill out the correct documents.

Thanks for everyones input. I was notified yesterday the VA granted me 10% for tinnitus 12 days after the exam. That was quick but a no brainer after being around 8" and 175mm's for a year. I live in Minnesota and the VA office was ranked 4th highest in PTSD percentage awards and the SS office's turn around ranking is good.

My private psychiatrist said he would support my SS claim, he used to work for the VA and knows my VA psychiatrist. The VA shrink gives me about two minutes of his time and rushes me out the door, that's after an hour drive to get there. If he pulls that again should I file a complaint with the Patient Advocate? Sorry to mention the VA on this board but the issues seem to overlap.

So I'll just keep studying the boards, plug away and be patient. Thanks again.