VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Purple Heart From 1969

Rate this topic

bozoc

I finally received my PH today for wounds received in 1969. Never realized it wasn't on my DD-214 until about a year ago. Luckily there was plenty of documentation in my military records to support the award. The VA has never questioned my wounds because of the documentation contained in my file. I have only been in the system at VA for a few months. It took almost 9 months to the day from the day I asked the DOA to issue the medal based on my military records. They sent a new form called a DD-215 that I assume attaches to the DD-214. This was pretty timely in that my license plates expire on my truck in June and they will now cost me $3.00 instead of $90.00. Not much of a success story but it's a start. :)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow!

Good for you.

It is a success story, you were given an award due to you, and an important award at that.

There are many vets that are deserving of awards never given, but can not get them.

Glad to hear it worked out for you.

Bozac

It is a really big start. The PH is very strong evidence if you ever file a PTSD claim.

Actually John, I have filed a PTSD claim and had my C&P in early February. I was lucky in that they had my old hospital records from Vietnam and I had a Bronze Star write-up that alluded to the fact I was wounded in that particular action. I also had a C&P for Headaches I have had for years and their ct scan showed 8 pieces of shrapnel still in my head. They never really even questioned the fact I was wounded in action. I also had the orders for my CIB. Thank goodness for old records. I really wanted the PH to tie every thing up in a little neater package and to eliminate any future doubt or questions from the VA.

GREAT- every veteran who feels their DD 214 might be wrong- I will attach the DD 149 form to use-

By the way all Edwin Cosby will be at Stardust Rdio with Jerrel Cook-discussing DD 214s again in April- the 2nd I think- I am interview Jim Strickland on the 9th-

This will be a good subject for these show-

Just put Not applicable on the Injustice part-

my husband got more awards with a DD 215 30 years after Vietnam

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use