VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Purple Heart From 1969

Rate this topic

bozoc

My Dad was wounded 3 times in NAM. He was Air-Force but served with a Army Unit during all three times he was wounded.

Long story short Army records never made it to the Air Force, so Dad had his purple hearts that the Army gave him, but his DD214 and Air Force Records don't show he was

awarded 3x Purple heart.

Dad never really cared about the paper work. While talking with a Vet rep a few yrs ago, he decided why not get the DD215 so he can sport a PH License Plate.

Medical records show he was wounded 3 times, not sure if they ever found the Army records, but he was finally awarded on paper.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Something to remember if you need to use the 149 form and were in the Navy is that you normally send it to St Louis records center, Not to the board of corrections. Seems that the board only deals with "bad paper" and similar problems, not correcting awards, etc. The board will forward it to the center, but that just adds to the time.

Bozoc the DD 215- (I know -it looks litle but it sure is big in importance-) shoould be submitted along with the DD 214 whenever you need to send the DD 214 somewhere or supply it- like for SSA, VA, Etc

I sure congratulate you too-and regret that our Mil cannot get this DD 214s right from the git go- they are messing up 214s of the newly returning men and women from Iraq too-

I have an opinion on getting a DD214/215 registered at a court house.

I was snooping around to see if a local vet was trying to sell me a bogus story, and I looked up his DD 214 in the county court house-

long story there but he was,in fact, a wannabee- a veterans with an HD but also a wannabee when it came to the PTSD story he told me-and the fact he said he was a Navy seal- yet we have a bonafide hero Navy seal in these parts-a good friend of mine- who gave me a trick question to ask the vet and he failed that one-

also the DD 214 revealed he was Navy cook and not at all in combat as he told me he had been.Plus he saved the life of an Admiral who almost fell over board-yeah right-

These days there is so much personal ID theft that I recall the SS #s and lots of personal info was right there in the local court house on other of our county vets DD 214s I found and of course my husband's was there too. They seemed to be all in one place and easy to find.I had to read through them to find the wannabee one.

I made sure my daughter didnt register her DD 214 anywhere.

Too much ID theft and stuff going on these days.

• 1 month later...
I finally received my PH today for wounds received in 1969. Never realized it wasn't on my DD-214 until about a year ago. Luckily there was plenty of documentation in my military records to support the award. The VA has never questioned my wounds because of the documentation contained in my file. I have only been in the system at VA for a few months. It took almost 9 months to the day from the day I asked the DOA to issue the medal based on my military records. They sent a new form called a DD-215 that I assume attaches to the DD-214. This was pretty timely in that my license plates expire on my truck in June and they will now cost me $3.00 instead of $90.00. Not much of a success story but it's a start. :rolleyes:
hey partner. if i see the plate. you'll sure hear my horn honk..... and a friendly wave.. right on!

Yep good idea to attach it to the DD 214.

Gee a Purple Heart from 1969-WOW_ feels like when my husband got his DD 215- and three more combat awards were on it.

my daughter helped some vets also get some awards they didnt get on their DD 214 and one got the DFC!

It was really more involved than that-she had to translate a Vietnamese document one of the vets carried with him for over 30 years- he though it was a hit list as his men's SSA numbers were on it- but she found it was commendations of extreme bravery for every man on the list from the Vietnamese Government.

EVERY vet who doubts if their DD 214 is correct should file a DD 149 to see if it is correct.

Yep good idea to attach it to the DD 214.

Gee a Purple Heart from 1969-WOW_ feels like when my husband got his DD 215- and three more combat awards were on it.

my daughter helped some vets also get some awards they didnt get on their DD 214 and one got the DFC!

It was really more involved than that-she had to translate a Vietnamese document one of the vets carried with him for over 30 years- he though it was a hit list as his men's SSA numbers were on it- but she found it was commendations of extreme bravery for every man on the list from the Vietnamese Government.

EVERY vet who doubts if their DD 214 is correct should file a DD 149 to see if it is correct.

There were four other awards on the DD 215 that I was completely unaware of. It took 9 months to get the purple heart awarded and that was with my military file containing the hospital records for the wounds as well as a Bronze Star writeup that alluded to the wounds. And, I still had to get my Congressman involved.

I filed a claim for PTSD and shrapnel wounds and received ratings for those in 8 months. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use