VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Purple Heart From 1969

Rate this topic

bozoc

• HadIt.com Elder

It took the USAF seven months to ISSUE my DD-214, during which time I hassled them to no avail. Finally I returned to the area, went in to the personnel office and said I wasn't leaving without it in hand, and got it.

When I got it, I filed a claim with the Air Force Board for Correction of Military Records stating that their error had wrongfully withheld veterans' benefits from me (try getting your postseparation dental treatment without a DD-214). I requested that my retirement date be changed to the 1st day of the month after the Board's decision, on the theory that if the USAF wasn't going to give me a document required by law and regulation -- the lack of which denied me benefits under the law -- equitably, my record should show active duty for that time.

AFBCMR issued a 3-0 decision recommending that my records be changed to show 13 months more active duty. Imagine the back pay.

Imagining is all I got to do, though, because the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Manpower and Reserve Affairs said I had no legal right to the correction -- and the recommended correction was disproportionate to the harm suffered. No soup for me, and if I look at it without bias and strictly as a matter of law and regulation -- I have to agree with him. Sigh.

My wife (also a career NCO) was awed that I got a 3-0 out of AFBCMR on such a "reach" case, and is now a serious non-fan of the Assistant Secretary. We've been married 20 years (as of today), but I was shocked at the profanity she let fly with when she read the letter....wow. Even I never made her that cranky.

That aside -- congrats to the initial poster for finally receiving what is rightfully his, and thanks for the service which led to it.

Bill, You should have won that award! Who's that Secretary, where's his power come from???

I've had to deal with AFBCMR and they are CRUEL CIVILIANS! Getting a 3-0 was very, very good!!

It took 3 years of fighting the DRB to get a "correction"; then after all that fighting, writing and hearings; they correct the DD-214 to what it SHOULD have shown in the first instance. Like, they were doing me a favor! It cost premature denials of entitlement to Title 38 for 13 years. I could spend the rest of my life fighting them and never see a dime. Maybe I will. Maybe I won't. I wanna see how my BVA Appeal, CUE claim goues down first.

It's not just the DD-214 that's at issue; it's the "post" processing: To Austen, TX, Labor Dept, Dept of Vets Affairs, NPRC . . . when a mistake it made, it can take a very long time to undue it. Bit it keeps lots of folks employed. What a messy business.

Congrat's to the veteran for getting his Honor's restored. Be proud of yourself. ~Wings

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

oNE GOOD REASON TO TAKE THE DD14/215 combination to the courthouse and get it registered -- They can make a certified copy (with seal) that the VA is required to accept as a genuine copy of the original. Occasionally, you hear that the VA refuses to accept a copy without this seal, even though the "original" sent by St Louis might actually be a copy. (ARGH!)

Bill, You should have won that award! Who's that Secretary, where's his power come from???

I've had to deal with AFBCMR and they are CRUEL CIVILIANS! Getting a 3-0 was very, very good!!

It took 3 years of fighting the DRB to get a "correction"; then after all that fighting, writing and hearings; they correct the DD-214 to what it SHOULD have shown in the first instance. Like, they were doing me a favor! It cost premature denials of entitlement to Title 38 for 13 years. I could spend the rest of my life fighting them and never see a dime. Maybe I will. Maybe I won't. I wanna see how my BVA Appeal, CUE claim goues down first.

It's not just the DD-214 that's at issue; it's the "post" processing: To Austen, TX, Labor Dept, Dept of Vets Affairs, NPRC . . . when a mistake it made, it can take a very long time to undue it. Bit it keeps lots of folks employed. What a messy business.

Congrat's to the veteran for getting his Honor's restored. Be proud of yourself. ~Wings

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use