Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Could This Be My "stressor"

Rate this question

Ryan H.

Question

I was awarded Combat Aircrew Wings after my first deployment to Iraq. They are the equivelant to a Combat Action Ribbon, but the VA does not recognize that. It seems that since only a handfull of people get these they just turn a blind eye to it. I would like an opinion on this because I am taking this MCO and my Original award certificate into my C&P this Sat.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MCO P1000.6G

COMBAT AIRCREW INSIGNIA

1. The Combat Aircrew Insignia may be authorized for those aircrewmen

qualified under para- graph 3309, who have participated in aerial flight

during combat, and those enlisted personnel who qualify for nontechnical

aircrew positions and serve in such positions in aerial combat.

2. Unit commanders may designate as combat aircrewmen, and authorize the

wearing of the Combat Aircrew Insignia, those enlisted personnel who

satisfactorily meet the prerequisites listed below. Make an appropriate entry

(to include any authorization for combat stars earned under paragraph 3310.4)

in the Marine’s record per current instruction.

3. The prerequisites for designation as a combat aircrewmen follow:

a. The Marine must be a volunteer for combat aircrew duty.

b. The Marine must be qualified per physical and psychological

requirements of the Manual of the Medical Department.

c. The Marine must be a regularly assigned member of a flight crew in an

aircraft participating in combat operations.

d. The Marine must be a graduate of an established course of instruction

and/or OJT qualifying the Marine for a position in the flight crew of a Marine

aircraft.

4. Combat aircrewmen who have qualified to wear combat stars may wear the

Combat Aircrew Insignia on a permanent basis. A maximum of three combat stars

may be awarded for display on the Combat Aircrew Insignia. The criteria for

earning individual combat stars (which are authorized by unit commanders) are

as follows:

a. Engagement of an enemy aircraft.

b. Engagement of an enemy vessel with bombs, rockets, torpedoes, guns or

missiles.

c. Participation in offensive or defensive operations against enemy

fortified positions.

5. A Marine who is qualified to wear both the Naval Aircrew Insignia and the

Combat Aircrew Insignia has the option of wearing the one of his choice.

Requests for verification of combat aircrew status must include sufficient

documentation to substantiate compliance with the prerequisites. Address all

inquiries concerning this insignia to the CMC (ASM).

6. The combat aircrew designation will be canceled by the unit commander

whenever the flight status of the Marine is terminated because he is no longer

physically, psychologically or technically qualified for combat aircrew

duty,or because he is transferred to a billet in which duty involving flying

is not required. Unless the Marine has qualified for permanent retention

under paragraph 3310.4, the authorization to wear the Combat Aircrew Insignia

is revoked upon cancellation of the designation.

It's never too late to get it fixed!

• Answers 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Ryan, with my limited knowledge, I agree with all the advice you have been given here. Make copies, send a copy (registered mail) and take one with you to the C&P, also ask one to be added to your VA medical file through means of your psych. Just gotta be proactive for yourself, find a VSO that you can trust, if not, you can do it with help.

I've been at my claims for well over a decade now and its still working. Now I have my a copy of CFile, my VA medical records, vocational rehabilitation records and am rerequesting other records from NARA. Thanks to Hadit I've been, er, refueled and succeeding nicely in finding out its not all in my head when its actually elsewhere.

The advice I have been given is that since I have a major claim open (tdiu and request for increase), adding a claim could possibly delay or place my current claim on the back burner. Ho, ho, though when this claim is decided or rated somehow, my other claims (orthopedic, lumbar and few other issues too) are waiting in the belfry to be submitted. Medical proof and correct medical terminology wins compensation due a veteran. I am prepping now.

Depending on the rating, I see where one of my ratings could be a CUE. Best to ya and keep reading the forum, FAQss, and dont forget to read Hadit front page from time to time! cg

testvet-

Thank you for the advise. So i do have another question... Should i send a copy of the award citation in to the VA as evidence or should i just bring it with me to the C&P? I am fully prepared to be screwed over again. I have other "issues that i am wanting to have looked at as well but i dont want to push too far to fast. Like flat feet, and lower back condition. I was denied service connection for these problems but i have clear evidence of having the problems throughout my service.

Edited by cowgirl

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

• HadIt.com Elder

Test, I'd rate this statement a 10 out of 10! I can only agree with what you state here. Be sumpthin' if raters had to personally meet the veteran (or spouse) to work a claim. Must be dreamin' here, ha,.cg.

it is a time consuming process and appeals and treatment is important you have to work a VA claim like you do a job, you have to keep your records organized, seperated in areas so you can find them, folders help, tabs help, notebooks make sure you get and keep copies of doctor treatment notes, C&P exams, private doctors records etc. some of us have been dealing with our claim for years and in a few cases decades, they try and get you to quit by denials or awarding low ball percentages, you are the only one that can decide to drop your claim, you are the only true advocate for your claim the service officers you will deal with in the coming years, most won't return your calls, a few will never even speak to you, they send it all by mail, a few will know less than you do, and if you get real lucky you find one that is good at what they do and actually help you, other than that plan on helping yourself and ask questions, lot's of them the only dumb question is the one you don't ask........

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

Ryan,

That citation is outstanding! It establishes repeated exposure to a life threatening event day in and day out. I know Marines are not supposed to express fear in anything, but you have to. You have to get across to the examiner how the flights scared the crap out of you. How a single well-placed bullet could bring the chopper down, or kill you or hit the fuel tank ( with all the machinery on top of a chopper, I assume that the tank in under the floor) or any of those that apply.

Could someone please post a link to the PTSD C&P exam??? . Go through the exam and answer all the questions that apply to you. Bring up how PTSD affects your personal relationships, ie. Parents, wife/girlfriend, buddies. Does your PTSD interfere with things you used to enjoy before you went to war? How? By not doing them anymore? Were you outgoing before and now not? Explain if PTSD affects your concentration. If you're working, how does it affect your work?

The mindset you need to get before you go into the C&P is that you had a normal life before PTSD and now it is extremely disrupted. My PTSD totally changed me during and after the war. I am told I came home an entirely different man. If this is how you see it, get this across to the examiner.

If there is someone, a parent or wife or best friend that can go with you to the exam that can adequately convey to the examiner how you have changed for the worse ask them to go to the exam with you. Sometimes someone that knows us well can bring information forth that we haven't thought of.

You CAN do this Marine, I'm sure of it. I personally know how hard it is to bring all the crap up when all you want to do is forget it, but this IS THE TIME TO DO IT!!!! After you've gotten the rating your satisfied with, you can bury it all again.

Yes, the lower gaf does help but raters look at the substantiating evidence as well. Your shrinks notes will help here.

Hadit Team, is there anything I've overlooked here, or perhaps was in error? If so, please set me straight, I want this Marine rated right.

jaz

Here are all of the blank Amie C & Ps :

just go down the info to the PTSD one:

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Benefits/exams/index.htm

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Thanks, Berta.

One more thing, if you take meds for the anxiety/PTSD, put them in a bag and take them with you to show the examiner. Discuss how the meds make you feel bad, like dizzy, or in a fog, or drain your energy. If they say you aren't supposed to operate heavy machinery, discuss how this affects your driving or may interfere with your work.

jaz

JAz -Great point!

I missed the fact that Ryan had a C & P this week-I just caught that post-

and now it is over for him and he was worried about it-

I hope he made out OK.

Maybe he should have brought that Citation with him!

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.