Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Could This Be My "stressor"

Rate this question

Ryan H.

Question

I was awarded Combat Aircrew Wings after my first deployment to Iraq. They are the equivelant to a Combat Action Ribbon, but the VA does not recognize that. It seems that since only a handfull of people get these they just turn a blind eye to it. I would like an opinion on this because I am taking this MCO and my Original award certificate into my C&P this Sat.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MCO P1000.6G

COMBAT AIRCREW INSIGNIA

1. The Combat Aircrew Insignia may be authorized for those aircrewmen

qualified under para- graph 3309, who have participated in aerial flight

during combat, and those enlisted personnel who qualify for nontechnical

aircrew positions and serve in such positions in aerial combat.

2. Unit commanders may designate as combat aircrewmen, and authorize the

wearing of the Combat Aircrew Insignia, those enlisted personnel who

satisfactorily meet the prerequisites listed below. Make an appropriate entry

(to include any authorization for combat stars earned under paragraph 3310.4)

in the Marine’s record per current instruction.

3. The prerequisites for designation as a combat aircrewmen follow:

a. The Marine must be a volunteer for combat aircrew duty.

b. The Marine must be qualified per physical and psychological

requirements of the Manual of the Medical Department.

c. The Marine must be a regularly assigned member of a flight crew in an

aircraft participating in combat operations.

d. The Marine must be a graduate of an established course of instruction

and/or OJT qualifying the Marine for a position in the flight crew of a Marine

aircraft.

4. Combat aircrewmen who have qualified to wear combat stars may wear the

Combat Aircrew Insignia on a permanent basis. A maximum of three combat stars

may be awarded for display on the Combat Aircrew Insignia. The criteria for

earning individual combat stars (which are authorized by unit commanders) are

as follows:

a. Engagement of an enemy aircraft.

b. Engagement of an enemy vessel with bombs, rockets, torpedoes, guns or

missiles.

c. Participation in offensive or defensive operations against enemy

fortified positions.

5. A Marine who is qualified to wear both the Naval Aircrew Insignia and the

Combat Aircrew Insignia has the option of wearing the one of his choice.

Requests for verification of combat aircrew status must include sufficient

documentation to substantiate compliance with the prerequisites. Address all

inquiries concerning this insignia to the CMC (ASM).

6. The combat aircrew designation will be canceled by the unit commander

whenever the flight status of the Marine is terminated because he is no longer

physically, psychologically or technically qualified for combat aircrew

duty,or because he is transferred to a billet in which duty involving flying

is not required. Unless the Marine has qualified for permanent retention

under paragraph 3310.4, the authorization to wear the Combat Aircrew Insignia

is revoked upon cancellation of the designation.

It's never too late to get it fixed!

• Answers 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Ryan

Combat wings should be proof of a stressor especially if you can get documentation to support combat flights. There is a website somewhere that lists combat awards that the VA accepts as showing combat against the enemy service. You could google your award and see what it says about it.

I just walked in the door from my C&P. 300 miles for an hour apointment. That blows.

Anyways, I did take the Citation to the C&P. I gave it to the Dr... He looked at it and said, " I dont need this, you are already service connected. I'm just here to see if things have gotten worse for you in the past 2 years." I told him ok but can you please put this in my file so that there is clear evidence of me being in combat. I told him that in my last C&P, the DR made it a point to put it in his notes that i did not have a CAR or CAB. He said that's fine he would do it.

The exam was sort of crazy for me. I had a panic attack in the lobby. I checked in about 45 min early and then went into the waiting room which was about 7ft by 6ft and had about 6 chairs in it. There were 4 people in the room already, I sat down, and immediatly people started asking me questions..... I got up left the room and walked to the end of the hall and began to feel it starting. Luckly i was able to get my composure back before the Dr came out. I think he saw it happen though, but I'm not sure.

The C&P went well i think. the Dr asked alot of questions and was not hesitant about asking what problems I am having. I explained every thing to him he led me into alot of things though like asked do i feel like...... and i would just say yes. he didnt ask me to explain alot, but the things he did ask for an explination for he was very persistant about. At the end of the exam he told me that he feels I am "very unstable." I dont really know what that means, but I'll make sure that i get the noted next friday when i go for my ankle and acid reflux C&p's.

Thanks to everyone on this site that helped me through this. It was by far the most humiliating expierence having to explain why I'm not normal, and i could not have been prepared for it if I had not had all the info i needed from HADIT!

• HadIt.com Elder

Did he ask you questions about your childhood or teenage years before the service? That is a danger signal when they ask about high school and your pre-service mental state or behavior. Always remember you were fine before service and since service you are suffering. In the Army they gave Air Medals with V device to those who flew in combat if I remember. A doorgunner or crew chief sure as shit sees combat in Air Assult units. They used to plop grunts who were sick of the field in these doorgunner slots. They had a short life span in Vietnam in hot zones. The VA seems fixated on the CIB or CAB. We did not even have the CAB in Vietnam.

Did he ask you questions about your childhood or teenage years before the service? That is a danger signal when they ask about high school and your pre-service mental state or behavior. Always remember you were fine before service and since service you are suffering. In the Army they gave Air Medals with V device to those who flew in combat if I remember. A doorgunner or crew chief sure as shit sees combat in Air Assult units. They used to plop grunts who were sick of the field in these doorgunner slots. They had a short life span in Vietnam in hot zones. The VA seems fixated on the CIB or CAB. We did not even have the CAB in Vietnam.

Actually he did led me down that road but it wasn't in a bad way. I mean i told him that every thing was great before the military and explaind that i use to have hobbies and now i have none. Then he made the statement. " so you are saying that everything was ok before the military and since you were in you have been having these problems."

The Dr i had seem to already have his mind made up before even talking to me. It SEEMED that he was for me. He even stated that he doesnt understand why i never got compensation before this C&P. another thing he said was that even though im service connected for Anxiety he could not find any record of a prior C&P. he actually said that this is my first one for mental health. Thats sort of confusing huh......

• HadIt.com Elder

Ryan, one doesnt ever plan to have a mental or behavorial health condition, but it sure sounds like you did well all in all. After reading your description of events and your exam notes sound like you were treated compentently. Its a positve feeling I have for you, here's wishing you the best result available. Hope ya dont mind lil ole me adding a big prayer for you, ya done good! cg

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

Way to go Ryan! Sounds good. Now just hope that the Dr. actually writes it up that way (sorry, still just a pessimist at heart). You can wait a little while and then send to the VARO for a copy of the C&P to see exactly how he wrote it up.

Time to relax for a while, chill out. I know exactly how taxing these psyc C&Ps can be, they take a lot out of you. You've done your best, Marine.

Just let us know what you hear from them and we'll go from there.

jaz