VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Niacin

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

My VA Doc has prescribed Niacin to help raise my good cholesterol. I am always in the low 20's and she wants me over 40 and even higher.

The side effect is sometimes I burn all over especially in ears and my arms. Anyone have a similar problem. I am supposed to take a baby aspirin before I thake the niacin but that is not helping ether.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Pete,

For a short period of time I went thru a "health nut" stage.

My sister and I would drink milk shakes where we added Bee Polin Powder & Niacin Powder

from the Health Food Store, to Bryers Vanilla Ice Cream and a banana then blended it into milkshakes.

We felt like we were on fire or had hundreds of ants biting us, very quickly we learned to cut

back on the amount of Niacin we put into the milkshakes and that worked much better for our

intent. Our goal did not relate to cholesterol.

carlie

Guest Dataman

Yea VA Cure. Did the same for me. Now they are giving me some Cream for Peripheral neuropathy. It's like Hot Sauce for the Skin and overwhelms the nerves. 3 Weeks and well it Huts Less when wet now. Pain still there! Learned not to get it in eyes and nose.

Gummy Bears would work as well so far....

Moron Dr refused me meds the other VA Dr suggested. Too expensive for them, except Tricare was paying for them. Ahaaaaaaaaaaa Got my letter ready to go!!

My VA Doc has prescribed Niacin to help raise my good cholesterol. I am always in the low 20's and she wants me over 40 and even higher.

The side effect is sometimes I burn all over especially in ears and my arms. Anyone have a similar problem. I am supposed to take a baby aspirin before I thake the niacin but that is not helping ether.

Pete, I take Niacin for the same reason and had the same problem. There are some brands of Niacin with "flush free" written on the front of the label. These made a huge difference for me. I get it at Sam's or Walmart but have seen it many places. Even if you have to buy it yourself, it is very cheap.

• HadIt.com Elder
Pete, I take Niacin for the same reason and had the same problem. There are some brands of Niacin with "flush free" written on the front of the label. These made a huge difference for me. I get it at Sam's or Walmart but have seen it many places. Even if you have to buy it yourself, it is very cheap.

Thanks I will look for it.

Pete

I have been on this medication for the past three years, I have also experienced the same problems of flushing as you have, I have learned that there are two grades of niacin one being pharmacy grade with time control and one over the counter. The pharmacy grade is the best taken at night before bed and little or no food in the system. The difference being the over the counter medication is not controlled for purity each brand is different in the levels and the way it is processed I have learned to take it with a glass of prune juice the magnesium seems to reduce the flushing effect, as I was told by my doctor. I hope this helps you!

Jack