VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gerd And Breathing

Rate this question

BernieB

Question

I have been having periods of shortness of breath. My thought was allergies. My primary care doctor suspects that it is becuase of reflux. I am SC for GERD/IBS. What do I need to do if my breathing problem is related to reflux? Is that a secondary condition?

• Answers 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I do not have any medical training background; other than first aid and CPR. I speak strictly from my own experience which may or may not be as yours. I have had Gerd for better than 10 years or longer. I also have COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease). The acid reflux when it's bad at night in my sleep always effects the COPD and makes it worse. I also have panic attacks from PTSD with severe depression and all is intermingled. One domino sometimes knocks them all over. My advice is have a cardiologist check you out and a Pulmonologist. The pulmonologist along with other tests will perform a PFT, which is a Pulmonary Function Test and this will tell the story if it is lungs. The most helpful thing I have found to correct the effects and flare up of Gerd is staying out of the Mexican restaurants and elevating the head of your bed as you sleep at least 6 inches if not more. Also Previacid, Prilosec, and other medication helps. Is it connected; not a doubt in my mind. If you find out how to convince the VA it is let me know, so far I have failed. My Gastrologist told me that PTSD will greatly increase a person's stomach acid and I had as much if not more than anyone she had ever seen; but so far she has ignored my request to put that in writing and send it to me.

God Bless Your Gerd and he can.

Danang_1969

Danang, can GERD give me COPD? I quit smoking several years ago - probably 7. I only have shortness of breath when I exert myself moderately. Come to think of it, I have had a harder time getting the pills down. Used to be able to pop them like candy. Not anymore.

• HadIt.com Elder
Come to think of it, I have had a harder time getting the pills down. Used to be able to pop them like candy. Not anymore.

Dysphagia is also a symptom of GERD. It can also mean that the GERD has turned into Barrett's Esophagus or esophageal cancer. I agree with Pete. You need to be at the hospital today.

Danang, can GERD give me COPD? I quit smoking several years ago - probably 7. I only have shortness of breath when I exert myself moderately. Come to think of it, I have had a harder time getting the pills down. Used to be able to pop them like candy. Not anymore.

Bernie, I don't think Gerd can give you COPD, but if you have any lung damage already from SMOKING, exposed to dioxin or whatever; the acid reflux can certainly cause a COPD exacerbation; which will make you struggle very hard to breath. Again, I don't have any medical training. You need to go have all this checked out NOW; your heart too. You may also have a hiatal hernia which interferes with swallowing. I have my esophageal stretched 5 times because of scalding from Gerd. I have had food hung in my throat for 12 hours at on three different least occasions and had to be hospitalized, put to sleep and the food shoved on down. I'm sure if you have GERD, it is probably not that serious yet. Acid Reflux (GERD) can irritate your esophagus and make swallowing very difficult over a period of time; that's why you need it have it checked out and as Pete said THE QUICKER YOU GO THE ER BETTER. If any other questions I can help you with don't hesitate to ask AND LET US KNOW HOW YOU ARE DOING.

Wish you the best

and God Bless

Danang_1969

Edited by danang_1969

I agree with the others, your symptoms may be heart related. Anytime you have shortness of breath on mild exertion it is a flag for heart problems.

Having said that I have been researching GERD for my friends claim and have found out that GERD can indeed cause shortness of breath. Also there have been studies that say if you have COPD the GERD can exacerbate it and make breathing worse.

If you were a smoker you could have had underlying COPD and not known it until the GERD made it symtomatic.

I am sure a search will give you some documentation for a claim.

Sandy

I agree with the others, your symptoms may be heart related. Anytime you have shortness of breath on mild exertion it is a flag for heart problems.

Having said that I have been researching GERD for my friends claim and have found out that GERD can indeed cause shortness of breath. Also there have been studies that say if you have COPD the GERD can exacerbate it and make breathing worse.

If you were a smoker you could have had underlying COPD and not known it until the GERD made it symtomatic.

I am sure a search will give you some documentation for a claim.

Sandy

I had a cardiac cath about a year ago. The doctor seemed almost insulted to perform the procedure because (he said) I had no blockage above 25 percent.

I would still advise you to go today and have it checked out. If you have taken any steriods such as prednisone with or without food, that will scald your throat and your stomach sometimes. Many medication will do that. Don't guess though; go let the Dr. check it out. Better to be safe than sorry.

Danang_1969