VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gerd And Breathing

Rate this question

BernieB

Question

I have been having periods of shortness of breath. My thought was allergies. My primary care doctor suspects that it is becuase of reflux. I am SC for GERD/IBS. What do I need to do if my breathing problem is related to reflux? Is that a secondary condition?

• Answers 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks for the update. With COPD alone, in the early stages; you can live a pretty normal life; although it will change your lifestyle. If you follow the doctors instructions such as diet, updrafts, other medication, staying away from that causes flareups, etc, it will help tremendously, if this indeed this is the diagnosis when he finishes the test. Did they do an x-ray? They can see COPD in an X-ray; most of the time.

danang_1969

They did an X-Ray. He wants to do more breathing tests to give me a better idea. He didn't say much.

Can I ask a dumb question? What is an updraft?

• HadIt.com Elder

Many who take Lisinopril for High Bloop Pressure are finding that they also get a nasty cough and much difficulty in breathing.

I apologize for not getting back sooner. I didn't know anything. However, I found a note in my file th at reads "FVC 69 and FEV1 76." Does anyone know what that means.

Guys, ladies, the shortness of breath, when it is bad, comes after mild exertion. Walking around the corner to the drugstore and back or taking the groceries out of the car. I was once so out of breath I could only say a few words at a time. I told my private doc that my lower left lung hurts/aches - almost feels dead. He wants to do tests. I quit smoking 7 years ago.

I have a GERD dx and suffer with what you have described. I have a confirmed diagnosis since my time in service of Costochondritis, which does flare up. But I suffer with the pain on the left side and just called my outside pcp doc today and scheduled an appointment for Monday because it won't let up. The lymph nodes can be the cause of that pain, which was suggested by the VA but no follow-up. My VAMC primary did a consult for cardio that got kicked back. I am thinking it is because I'm not service connected for a heart condition. Otherwise, I'm not sure why the consult got rejected. At any rate, like I said, I will be on my way to one after Monday via a consult from my outside pcp. Thank God for outside (private) doctors.

• HadIt.com Elder

LuvHIM,When I read costochondritis in my cfile,its a mystery to me, is it part of your gerd dx? I always thought it was related to a chest injury. wow.

thanks.cg

I have a GERD dx and suffer with what you have described. I have a confirmed diagnosis since my time in service of Costochondritis, which does flare up
. Edited by cowgirl

I apologize for not getting back sooner. I didn't know anything. However, I found a note in my file th at reads "FVC 69 and FEV1 76." Does anyone know what that means.

Social Security has pulmonary guidelines they use on these reading to determine if one qualifies for or the rate of disability on breathing. The readings depend on many factors, weight, height, etc. You can view these to see where you stand at: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disability/p...20insufficiency

The PFT test to me is useless for treatment. The VA nurse ask me not long ago " have you ever had a pulmonary function test" I said I have had many but why do you ask and why does it matter, she said the computer told me to ask. I said oh I see. It is for diagagnotic reasons but otherwise as I said it is useless in treatment. I guess the test only indicates if you need treatment and possible what type treatment. Gerd goes along with PTSD, COPD, Sleep Apnea, no doubt.

I hope this and the site helps.

Edited by danang_1969