VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Why Is It So Damn Hard To Get A Rx Renewed?

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete, try this one. Call the VAMC dial (0) Ask for your primary care team or your Primary care docs nurse. ( get to know her name.)

Leave her a message and ask her to have your doc refil the meds. She will send an email to the MD.

It works for me and I have no problems. The Boss works there and she can bring the meds home with her.

J

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Glad it works for you but in Dallas they don't let you speak directly to your clinic or your Doc or anyone near the Doc for that matter it goes to a call center and they relay a message.

Anyway I did get 1 out of 3 renewed.

I just spent a good part of the morning checking on my medications as I always do on 1st of the month and 3 prescriptions had expired.

I tired to call my Doc to get her to refill but I had to wait almost 10 minutes to talk to an operator to get my clinic and than 20 minutes with call center who is supposed to notify pharmacy and hopefully get the refills

Man I wish I had John McCains Insurance Card.

Come on Pete you know that filling a prescription in this manner requires speed, action and reading. I do not think anyone within the VA system has the ability to perform any of the three.

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete...don't know if you've tried this angle yet, but what works for me is calling the pharmacy at the VAMC, and actually speaking to someone in the pharmacy (there's an option for that up her..not sure about where you are). If a prescription is expired, I let the pharmacy contact my PCP. It has worked every time so far, but it could fail in the future, I suppose.

I do not even waste my time calling my pcp.

I always get my tele health nurse or my cardiologist to renew all my scripts.

My pcp is about as good as a pothole in the road.

• HadIt.com Elder

What gets me is the lack of consistency from one VAMC to another. It is like trying to solve a Rubic's Cube. Why cannot there just be one policy for refills or scripts? I was told that the VA won't fill scripts for oxycontin which might work very well for me. It is because of bad press for that drug, but morphine and methadone is OK. I am going to the pain management clinic on April 24th to try and get some kind of pain drug that works for more than four hours. They will probably tell me to take a tylenol and call them next year.