VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Selection Of A Lawyer

Rate this question

rthomass

Question

I feel compelled to warn all my fellow Veterans to be very selective in who they have represent them before the Department of Veteran Affairs.

I have as some of you know been envolved in an Agent Orange case for over 41 months now, for the bean counters it works out to 14, 600 days or 350,400 hours!

Once the lawyer I selected got my case remanded from the CAVC to the BVA and had me sign a paper in order for her to further represent me. I had precious few contacts with her to the point she seldom took my calls or acknowledged my paperwork. I was basicaly on my own. I developed my own case, did my own research, and pleaded my case without benefit of effective counsel.

I finally dismissed this lawyer and her firm and I am fervently getting another Lawyer up to speed as the local Regional Office refuses to render a final decision and insists on issuing an SSOC and returning the remanded claim back to the BVA for a decision; even though the local RO was given the option by the BVA to render a decision.

I tell you this as my brothers and sisters, we have only our selfs and each other....no one ...not he VA, Not the BVA...or even the CAVC is going to help you. It is your claim, you must be your own advocate, you must be agreesive, ruthless, cunning and even wallow in the gutter with the Veterans Administration.

A lawyer is a resource, a tool......but ultimately as President Truman said "The Buck Stops Here".

That firm I am talking about is Liberman & Mark, PLLC of Washington D.C. I absolutely do not recommend them. I am not trying to slander these lawyers but to warn you there are lawyers out there that are not looking out for your best interest. After the rmmand they have the Veteran sign a 20% agreement to futher represent the Vetrean at The RO level and hope they luck out by sheer number of Veterans Claims they have...for a few to bingo with them exerting as little effort as possible on the claims........a nice racket if I do say so.

Randall

Edited by rthomass

• Answers 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I have found the "pickings to be slim" with VA lawyers, especially in the midwest. I have heard very good things about Ken Carpenter, however, I understand he is both very busy and very selective.

Frankly, we need lots more lawyers who represent Vetrans. Lawyers do not like to take Vetrans cases, largely because it is difficult for them to get paid.

You see, the VA often delays claims..not just our claims, but claims who are represented by a lawyer. If the claim is delayed 10 years, and many of them are, most lawyers dont want to wait ten years for their money. Do you blame them?

I spoke with an "ex" Va lawyer, who no longer takes VA cases because he got tired of waiting to get paid. It is just one more way the VA denies justice.

Justice delayed is justice denied.

That's why lawyers jump on Court appeals, they can be paid through EAJA, and not through the veteran. And, no I don't blame them, but it still sucks.

I am taking a copy of my Statement of the Case (from the DRO) tomorrow to Atty. Chris Godios who I mentioned in earlier post. He is registered with NOVA. Young guy. His credentials look fine, but experience with VA--don't know. I've contacted three attorneys/firms, this guy got back to me right away and on a Saturday even. I am naive on what are appropriate legal fees and if they will just do the "contingency" type claim. However, I assume there are many who want $$$ up-front.

Berta, Karl Kazmierczak is a good lawyer but he has never had a case before the CAVC>

Stay away from Lieberman and Mark...........

Edited by rthomass

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta,

Ken Carpenter is very good.

Daniel Krasnegor also handles CAVC cases.

PH# 1-877-838-1010 out of Richmond, Virginia

30% is about average for any SSA claim and what most Veteran attorneys earn I would guess. That leaves you with 70% of something.

I wasted allot of yrs waiting to have the right to hire an attorney to represent me. Sure wish I could have gotten a good one at the starting line.

VMO

If you are not in good health it might be wise to let a lawyer take your claims through the appeals process. These things are stressful. Let the lawyer earn his money dealing with the stress. Take your time to find the right lawyer. You need to find someone who believes in your claim. The more retro involved in your claim the more attractive it becomes to the legal eagles.

Lieberman & Mark has a tendency of letting a case go to the Court of Appeals, getting a remand back to the BVA, getting $5,000.00 from EAJA. Once they get this they send you a form putting you on the hook for 20% of your retro. Getting cooperation or any type of action from this firm at this point is iffy to say the least.