VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ala For Pn Pain

Rate this topic

To all,

Regarding ALA (Alpha Lipoic Acid) as used for pain due to pn, I searched here but did not find any discussion on the topic. I have read on another veteran site that a couple people feel it relieves thier pain. I went to a local pharmacy and asked about it. The drugist printed out thier info and it seems that there have been a few very small studies and shows to be useful in some pain management. The only drawback is it was determined that ALA ould cause low blood sugars.

I don't think that currently my foot pain is so severe as to require gabepentin (?) or other strong drugs. Thought that I would try this herbal suplement.

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

Ed

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry Brothers and Sisters, Somehow my post hasn't appeared. I'm being treated for PTSD, seeing my Pschy by TV, and alternating months with my Social Worker. She has me on 40ms of Citalopram, 1800mg of Gabbapentine, and 100mg of Trazodone. She said the most I can go is 2400mg on the Gabbapentine, and it used as a brain stimulator. In your case, maybe it's to mask the pain. Heck. I think you would have the ailment repaired, but I guess they feel maybe you can just sweep it under the rug. Hope you can find light at the end of the tunnel, and God Bless....

Almost 3 weeks since I started using ALA. I have not noticed much change in the foot pain. I will continue until this bottle runs out. I am using 600 mg per day, taking 200 with each meal. I am not sure what the final results will be, BUT, if there is no significant amount of relief of pain, I'll likely stop using the ALA.

Ed