VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Effective Date On New Claim

Rate this question

Jim 501st

Question

To start with I admit to not being too bright on VA matters, for instance I finally looked in the dictionary and found that Sequel a is any abnormality following or resulting from disease or injury or treatment;

Briefly i had an operation for appendix at Ft. Bragg in Aug 1962. That was not my home base so after 10 days in the hospital I was medevaced back to Ft. Campbell Ky. I had a developed a bladder infection that would not clear up, so orders were sent to follow this up at Campbell. NOT.

After several month I went to the clinic at Campbell with urinary complaints. I was treated for this for the next year until I was discharged.

On my final medical exam under my statement I wrote Fair- Bladder infection due to appendix operation in July 1962.

On question 40 of the Dr.'s report he wrote Infection of the bladder-Aug 62- symptomatic with frequent urination-Sequela at present. UCHD.

I have had severe problems since I got out to date. I was awarded disability from SS in 1985, and neurogenic bladder was a part of the award.

I have a claim nearly ready to file for this but was wondering about effective date. I understand about the date, and filing or before the one year after you get out.

I recently received a copy of my smr and found all this out. As I have stated before, I got out of the service and never looked back until my world came crashing down a while back.

If I should win this claim could they go back to the date I was awarded SS in 1985 and this being a part of the reason for my award.

I'm a little upset that they discharged me with out at least making me aware of this.

Anyhow thanks for taking the time to read this and any comments would be appreciated

Jim 501st

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Jim,

In reading your post I don't see where you have as yet ever filed a claim for service connection with the VA.

If that is the case and in response to your question,

"If I should win this claim could they go back to the date I was awarded SS in 1985 and this being a part of the reason for my award."

the answer is NO, VA will not go back to 1985 as an effective date.

No matter what SSA has awarded in the past to you -- VA is not going to grant anything earlier

(in this case) than when a claim is filed.

If you can, you may want to scan your claim (delete personal info. such as SS #, DOB etc...)

and post it here for a look-see, before you send it in, also a list of your medical evidence.

jmho,

carlie

Hi Jim,

I don't have the knowledge of Carlie, but I did have a similar experience that supports her comments.

I had problems with my heart while on active duty and those problems first showed up circa 1985.

I retired in 1991 and did not file a claim until 1999. That claim was denied. I submitted new and material evidence in 2006 and my claim was eventually approved in 2007 (I'm appealing the percentage).

The effective date for this claim was the date I submitted new and material evidence in 2006.

Hope this helps a little.

Ron

I agree with what Carlie has rendered.

Now, you stated: On my final medical exam under my statement I wrote Fair- Bladder infection due to appendix operation in July 1962.

On question 40 of the Dr.'s report he wrote Infection of the bladder-Aug 62- symptomatic with frequent urination-Sequela at present. UCHD.

I have had severe problems since I got out to date. I was awarded disability from SS in 1985, and neurogenic bladder was a part of the award.

Do you have a current diagnosis from a physician or are you planning to use the dx from the SSA 1985 exam?

I agree with what Carlie has rendered.

Now, you stated: On my final medical exam under my statement I wrote Fair- Bladder infection due to appendix operation in July 1962.

Do you have a current diagnosis from a physician or are you planning to use the dx from the SSA 1985 exam?

First thanks for the response TEAM.

Sorry it took so long to get back, appointments and such, you know.

No I never have filed a claim on this, but I plan to. I have suffered with this since 1962, a year before I got out.

Yes I have documentation. Its unfortunate for me but my family Dr. that treated me for this and other ailments from 1966 to 1980 died and I have been unable to find his records. Have been told they most likely were destroyed. I do have a few treatment records from 1980 to 1988.

I had euro dynamics studies done at two Major universities. both diagnosed as neurogenic bladder with incontinence. I alouded them to treat me for two years. They kept experimenting with different meds. to the the point of having to start cauterisation's finally through away all their meds. and got back to where I was before treatments were started.

I use the bath room about every half hour, and wear protection when I go out. I'm lucky to the extent that i can get away with a baby pamper in my underwear. If you can call that lucky.

I had these studies done for disability ss and I still have them. Also as I said before it was a part of my SS award. I hardly mention it to any one any more, and don't think I ever have to my primary Dr. at the VA. That I been seeing for the last year.

As stated before, I didn't know it was in my military records until recently.

Now need advice on what would be the best way to go about it now.

Talked to my Vet rep. and he suggested I wait until I get my decision on some pending claims, and I think He's probably right in my case.

In my last post I said the RO. had reached a decision on some pending claims on 28 Jan. 08 and I should here something in a few weeks. STILL WAITING.

Should I go with whats already on record concerning a new VA claim or should I get an IME or what. I could use some advice on this.

Thanks a million Jim 501st