VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssd And Va Comp - Again :)

Rate this question

docndiane

Question

I am sure someone has answered, but I will ask anyway. MY husband had a stroke due to high blood pressure at the age of 46 and is completely paralyzed on his left side and totally dependent on us for day to day living. That was over a year ago. We immediately applied for SSDI and was awarded the social security in less than 3 months, but of course had to wait the 6 months. We also have a 14 year old daughter and found out that ss will give us income for our daughter, and they do - 50% of his SSDI. We then applied for Va Comp, as my husband was diagnosed with high blood pressure and treated for it for the first time ever while in the Navy - Okinawa to be exact and has been on meds for hypertension ever since. My question is, if they approve his service connected disability Va Comp will SSDI reduce his award which he is currently receiving? Assuming my husband is awarded Va Comp, will we have to notify SS? When we received the request for information, I sent all of the hospital documentation I had along with a copy of his SSDI award letter. Does this help the claim or hurt it?

Thanks in advance B)

Diane

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Guest Dataman

Diane;

SSD won't be reduced by his VA. U can get both. Is he retired? He can get that too (CRDP) when he gets VA ratings of above 50%. He should get 100% (I bet he wont' those SB's).

Don't forget to ask for VA Insurance when he gets rating (within a year). 10k for Free if 100%.

U have done the right thing! I am sorry for you and your family. Hopefully he can recover some use.

Dataman,

Thanks so much for the advice, no he is not retired, well he may be if he cannot recover anything on that left side. I keep praying.

Thanks again for the info, it is great that this website exists for those who just don't know B)

Have a great day,

Diane :D

Diane;

SSD won't be reduced by his VA. U can get both. Is he retired? He can get that too (CRDP) when he gets VA ratings of above 50%. He should get 100% (I bet he wont' those SB's).

Don't forget to ask for VA Insurance when he gets rating (within a year). 10k for Free if 100%.

U have done the right thing! I am sorry for you and your family. Hopefully he can recover some use.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thank god he is still here. Strokes are deadly and a survivor often suffers catastrophic effects that linger for life.

I think being totally disabled by SSDI means he is officially retired unless he has an amazing recovery of his left side. just pray that the BP stays better controlled. The sudden drop in BP is Dangferous as that is where most strokes occurr.

I am service connected fopr Hypertension.. If your husband has Arterisclerosis, He may also be in line for Heart disease service connection. go for broke and ask for the moon.

The VA will send him for an exam to get an opinion for all. The SC for HTN is the Key.

He should be 100 percent Plus an SMC for the loss of use of the left side at a higher comp rate.

It depends on the level of function he has retained.

ALso check with your State for the benefits of disability like homestead exemption or property tax exemption.

There are several posts on Hadit about these and other benefits available.

Edited by jbasser

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have not done this already you should ask the VA to consider Aid and Attendance with his claim.

I'm sorry to hear about your husband. But you are right, Hadit.com is a great place to come for assistance and advice.

If you are filing a claim with VA...don't hesitate to place your questions on the "main" forum to get help in that process, as needed. Like others have already mentioned other benefits that your husband may be entitled to. I wish I had known about Hadit before I filed my claim for increase. I think I'd be receiving comp by now. Best regards.