VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gotta Love Google

Rate this question

71M10

Question

Greetings all:

So I am trying to figure out what can go wrong with my hypertension claim and then I see it staring back at me on the diagnosis from 1986 "prob essential hypertension". What does prob mean? If it is read as "Probable" does that mean BVA will say it wasn't a definative diagnosis? If it is read as problem essential hypertension im fine. Or did it mean probably essential hypertension but regardless its hypertension.

So I think to myself, I wonder if I can find the internist. I pull up Google type in the name as I have it, add internal medicine, and United States Army. Top of the search I get a private practice doc in Colorodo Springs, I look at his credentials, he did 3 fellowships/programs at army hospitals. So I whip out the cell phone dial up the number and talk to the receptionist. I inform her my questions might seem odd but I am a Veteran looking for the Doctor who diagnosed me in 1986 to clarify some abbrviations on my medical record. I ask if DR. X is retired military she says yes, ask if he is internal medicine again yes, ask if his age is somewhere around 55-65 again yes. Ask if its ok to send a letter asking if he was indeed the doctor that examined me. She said most definately. WOW what did we do before internet!

So I have a contact but I am not sending a letter yet. I am going to see how this plays out first. If I ask for a clarification and this DOC gives it and it isn't to my favor I am faced with the dilema of having evidence and not turning it over. If the VA does something odd or rash I can always ask for that clarification and use it in on appeal.

Or this "prob" is no problem at all, I don't know how common of an abbreviation it is in doctor speak and if its interpretation really is a problem. Along with the diagnosis I only had 2 normal BP's in service and 24 abnormal readings. My home units medical staff didn't implement any of the treatment plan that the internist called for. Ball got dropped since we headed out for Team Spirit 86 within days of my appointment.

Just wanted to share this as a strategy for people looking for clarification on thier SMR's.

Best regards,

Tyler

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

prob most likely means probable. You look it up here. That means it's not an actual diagnosis, but this will really depend on the rater. Best bet would be go back to the doctor and get a definate dx before the rater has a chance to pick this one apart.

I agree with rental guy. Even if you do get an unfavorable opinion from him you are not obligated to turn it in unless the VA finds out about it and requests it. You are only required to turn in evidnece favorable to your claim. Also, any statements you make cannot be used as negative evidence in your claim.

My guess is he will look at it and say "it was a diagnosis of hypertension".

I agree. However, no matter how it is read I think you will be fine.

With 24 high readings vs 2 normal and a probale/possible/what ever statement by a doctor you have meet the at least as likely requirement. If you have to argue this should be your focus.

Now 24 vs 2 does not necessarily mean that the 24 should receive more weight in the evidence game. That will depend on the actcual readings however, if the 24 readings meet the 10 percent requirement you should be ok for that definitely establishes a problem/pattern for HTN. The fact that the service did not treat should not factor in for the services fail to treat a lot of things for the answer is eat less, lose weight and do more PT ----- more PT and motrin treats any and all disease according to the Army!

• HadIt.com Elder

"essential hypertension" is the key term, Essential hypertension refers to high blood pressure with no identifiable cause. It's possible that a VA RO might interpret this to mean that it's not service connectible. If that is likely, an IMO should be gotten that at least says that it's at least as likely as not that it's related to some facet of service. I'd say that the "prob essential hypertension" statement can be taken several ways. For example, Either your hypertension likely has no identifiable cause, or that you might have had hypertension, but no definitive diagnosis was made.

Greetings all:

So I am trying to figure out what can go wrong with my hypertension claim and then I see it staring back at me on the diagnosis from 1986 "prob essential hypertension". What does prob mean? If it is read as "Probable" does that mean BVA will say it wasn't a definative diagnosis? If it is read as problem essential hypertension im fine. Or did it mean probably essential hypertension but regardless its hypertension.

So I think to myself, I wonder if I can find the internist. I pull up Google type in the name as I have it, add internal medicine, and United States Army. Top of the search I get a private practice doc in Colorodo Springs, I look at his credentials, he did 3 fellowships/programs at army hospitals. So I whip out the cell phone dial up the number and talk to the receptionist. I inform her my questions might seem odd but I am a Veteran looking for the Doctor who diagnosed me in 1986 to clarify some abbrviations on my medical record. I ask if DR. X is retired military she says yes, ask if he is internal medicine again yes, ask if his age is somewhere around 55-65 again yes. Ask if its ok to send a letter asking if he was indeed the doctor that examined me. She said most definately. WOW what did we do before internet!

So I have a contact but I am not sending a letter yet. I am going to see how this plays out first. If I ask for a clarification and this DOC gives it and it isn't to my favor I am faced with the dilema of having evidence and not turning it over. If the VA does something odd or rash I can always ask for that clarification and use it in on appeal.

Or this "prob" is no problem at all, I don't know how common of an abbreviation it is in doctor speak and if its interpretation really is a problem. Along with the diagnosis I only had 2 normal BP's in service and 24 abnormal readings. My home units medical staff didn't implement any of the treatment plan that the internist called for. Ball got dropped since we headed out for Team Spirit 86 within days of my appointment.

Just wanted to share this as a strategy for people looking for clarification on thier SMR's.

Best regards,

Tyler

• Founder

i am big fan google also, you may want to take a look at our search page http://www.hadit.com/search.html it has information on how to get the results you want search tips.

Greetings all:

Best regards,

Tyler