VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Knees

Rate this question

pete

Question

Good morning, I'm going to file a claim for problems in my right knee that I think are due to imbedded shrapnel-it's sore all of the time. I went to VA Doc and he gave me Vicodin which says on the label "Don't drive" while taking. I also have arthritis issues with both knees. Any suggestions on filing this claim? Thanks.

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete:

You are going through stuff that many of us had to deal with. As maddinging as it is it will eventually be resolved. Don't give up.

And please, anyone else with advice or an opinion, feel free to join in. My anxiety level with the VA is over the top. I used to call the 800# to see how my claim was coming along, but I think each person I talked to just made stuff up. In the beginning I thought the VA was on my side. B)

Hey, Pete, just a quick followup. I've applied again (3rd time in 35 years) to up my medical discharge (30%SC) as life and health deteriorate as we get older. Haven't been able to work in 18 years now, the wife is my sole support, financially, physically and most importantly emotionally. Anyway I applied again with a claim last July and also anxiously await decisions as to C&P exams, and really everything else concerned with my present claim, as I haven't heard anything either except the VA's initial response when they received it 5 months ago ... it's no wonder the public sees us as being suspicious and distrusting of the VA ... you and I have a harsher opinion of them. Outright distain. They are not here to help us. They are not our friend. It's a business to them, and their decisions are just that. Business. I might add business as usual. I can tell you of the days when I first got back from 'Nam and they had me in a straight jacket with thorazine to help me adjust ... I learned a lot then ...

Hang Tough Brother.

Edited by BobG

Hi Berta, thanks for the reply. I've been on this board before about my PTSD claim and have had some dialogue with you. Your knowledge is amazing. Anyway, my previous SO never suggested I file a claim for the knees. My scars (10-12 of them) are only about an inch long. Hi Berta, thanks for the reply. I've been on this board before about my PTSD claim and have had some dialogue with you. Your knowledge is amazing. Anyway, my previous SO never suggested I file a claim for the knees. My scars (10-12 of them) are only about an inch long. Should I file this claim while my ptsd claim is pending? Stosedly is at the RO's desk. Supposedly being the key word. Berta, back in October you posted that although your time is limited, I could contact you for advice for a NOD on my ptsd claim when it comes. May I still do that? Thanks.sted that although your time is limited, I could contact you for advice for a NOD on my ptsd claim when it comes. May I still do that? Thanks.

Forgive me for intruding into your message to Berta.

"Should I file this claim while my ptsd claim is pending? "

If you file another claim, while the PTSD claim is in the process, your PTSD claim will lose it's position in the adjudication process, and your file might go to the end of the long line. It would be a shame to lose all this waiting time, for a major PTSD decision, with a knee injury claim. IMHO

Johnny

Johnny 60-

I certainly see your point but won't the newer claim get associated with the c file anyhow?

I filed one, then 5 more and they are all going to be reviewed together-but then again that is a DRO review not a regular adjudicator.

In the old days of the Prodigy veterans BBS -1980s- (Peter Sawyer and Alex at hadit were both on those boards- we had an attorney who always said to file a claim ASAP so -once granted- no benefits are lost for each month it is put off.

Hope others give opinions on this-

Bob G -thank you veteran- my only goal is to get our grateful nation to cough up for your sacrifices-via VA comp-

Pete -with a solid link to your service the PTSD with depression as secondary seems to warrant a much higher GAF-

wonder where the doc got that from- also any PTSD meds can also hinder your ability to work-did the other doc give any GAF at all or just the first doctor?

Edited by Berta

Johnny 60-

I certainly see your point but won't the newer claim get associated with the c file anyhow?

I filed one, then 5 more and they are all going to be reviewed together-but then again that is a DRO review not a regular adjudicator.

In the old days of the Prodigy veterans BBS -1980s- (Peter Sawyer and Alex at hadit were both on those boards- we had an attorney who always said to file a claim ASAP so -once granted- no benefits are lost for each month it is put off.

Hope others give opinions on this-

Bob G -thank you veteran- my only goal is to get our grateful nation to cough up for your sacrifices-via VA comp-

Pete -with a solid link to your service the PTSD with depression as secondary seems to warrant a much higher GAF-

wonder where the doc got that from- also any PTSD meds can also hinder your ability to work-did the other doc give any GAF at all or just the first doctor?

Johnny, Pete, Berta, et al ...

I just called my SO about a claim for tinnitus. I was with an arty battery as an FO. With something I read here last week, my SO said I would definitely be looked at as a tinnitus claimant, so I mailed him back this additional claim yesterday and read this post today about submitting a (more minor) claim while my PTSD claim submitted last July is still under review. Asked him if this newer claim would put me back at the end of line for the more serious claim. He said it would not. It would be added to the original and the additional claim for TDIU I submitted to them 2 months ago ... look I figure the more I throw at them, the more should stick, whenever they review any and all of it ... I got nuthin' to lose, some back pay to gain. They can't take away the (insufficient) 35 year old 30%SC ...

Hope this is some support, Pete ... B)

and I again try to always remember Joseph Heller's Catch 22 in times of frustration, looking for some humor in any of this.

Carry on Troops ...

• HadIt.com Elder

I belong to the group that feels a new claim will hold an older claim back. I guess that you could request that they defer the new claim till your old one is ruled on?

Good Luck