VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mri Report On Both Knees.

Rate this question

Jayg

Question

I just had both knees MRI'd. I got a copy of the report. I don't see my doc until May. In the meantime, I sure would like to know what the heck they found. Can anybody translate this stuff??

Right Knee w/o contrast

The knee joint compartments are intact and well maintained. Medial meniscus has a focal radial tear toward the posterior horn. Lateral meniscus is intact. There is a moderate amount of joint effusion in the suprapatellar bursa. Cruciate ligament and the collateral ligaments are intact. Patellofemoral joint is unremarkable.

Impression: Radial tear to the medial meniscus posterioly. Joint effusion.

Primary diagnostic code:Suspicious for New Malignancy need FU

Anybody know what the hey that last item especially, means???

Now for the...

Left knee w/o contrast

Media knee Joint compartment is moderately narrowed w/periarticular osteophyte changes. A focal subchronal erosion on the medial tibial plateau is noted. The medial meniscus shows truncation and focal chronic tear to the posterior horn. Lateral meniscus has intrasubstance signal changes and has a small horizontal tear to the posterior horn. The cruciate ligament, collateral ligament and patella tendons are intact. Moderate amount of joint effusion over the supratella bursa. A moderate sized popliteal cyst measuring 4.6 x 2.1 cm on the medial aspect.

Impression:

Local mild osteoarthritic changes on the medial knee joint compartment w/chronic tear to the medial meniscus and also degenerative tear to the lateral meniscus. Moderate amount of joint effusion and moderate popliteal cyst.

Primary diagnostic code:Suspicious for New Malignancy need FU

Moderate? Mild?? I'm on several strong meds and the pain in my knees still wake me up at nights, I can hardly walk and standing for any length of time is impossible! :lol:

Sounds like the left knee is in worse shape but of late, (probably as compensation) the right knee has been hurting, swelling, more. It was the Right knee a doctor wanted to operate on back in 2003. (I didn't have it done.) If it was the right knee what needed surgery, and the left is worse, am I in as bad shape as I feel??? :lol:

And one more thing. Is this guy trying to slip me the double talk???

(from 2005 record I just got)

Gait is steady w/ good pace. He appears to wobble side-to-side especially when he first gets up. :blink:

Any input would be most welcome, thank you.

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Well this can mean several things . Your Options are do you have 1: PAIN 2: Swelling 3: Is this something you can live with? 4: Surgery 5: Is this service Connected.6: If so do you have an option to have surgery elsewhere other than VA Hosp? 7: If you do have Surgery do not expect miracles you will never be the same as far as that was prior to the injury i can assure you that much.The Bottom Line is your decision if you want to live with what you have or you can have the surgery.I also have severe Knee issues that are service connected i too will have an MRI this week along with Cervical spine MRI. I have a little knowledge of knee isuues after dealing with it for thirty years. Also depending on your age for limited recovery you will never be 100% for that injury they will try to tell you otherwise ,and pass the buck to PMRS or more rehabilitation,but once you reach maximum rehab the thearpist will set you free.and it also depends how badly yoiu wish to recover your maximum strength.There are many issues involved here and how you decide the end result is up to you. Good Luck My Brother i hope this helps you.

Here is a little more information

Causes

clear.gif

CLICK TO ENLARGE

r7_bakerscystthu.jpg Baker's cyst clear.gif A door hinge needs oil to swing smoothly, to reduce the friction between its moving parts and to minimize wear and tear. Similarly, the cartilage and tendons in your knees rely on a lubricating fluid called synovial (si-NO-vee-ul) fluid. This fluid helps your legs swing smoothly and reduces friction between the moving parts of your knees.

Synovial fluid circulates throughout your knee and passes in and out of various tissue pouches (bursae) throughout your knee. A valve-like system exists between your knee joint and the bursa on the back of your knee (popliteal bursa). This regulates the amount of synovial fluid going in and out of the bursa.

But sometimes the knee produces too much synovial fluid. Most commonly this is caused by an inflammation of the knee joint, such as occurs with various types of arthritis. A knee injury, especially a cartilage tear, also is a common cause of Baker's cyst.

When the popliteal bursa fills with fluid and expands, the result is a bulge called a Baker's cyst. In texture, it's similar to a balloon filled with water.

When to seek medical advice

If you're experiencing pain and swelling behind your knee, see your doctor to determine the cause. Treating the underlying condition, such as arthritis or a cartilage tear, usually relieves the swelling and discomfort of a Baker's cyst.

Though unlikely, a bulge behind your knee may be a tumor or a popliteal artery aneurysm rather than a fluid-filled cyst.

Screening and diagnosis

A noninvasive imaging test, such as an ultrasound or a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan, can help distinguish a simple cyst. If your doctor suspects a blood clot in your leg (deep vein thrombosis) or an aneurysm, he or she may suggest an ultrasound of your leg or other tests.

Complications

Rarely, a Baker's cyst bursts and synovial fluid leaks into the calf region, causing sharp pain in the knee, swelling and sometimes redness of the calf. These signs and symptoms closely resemble those of a blood clot in your leg. If you have swelling and redness of your calf, you'll need prompt medical evaluation, because a blood clot may require urgent treatment.

Treatment

Many times, no treatment is required and a Baker's cyst will disappear on its own.

If the cyst is very large and causes a lot of pain, your doctor may use the following treatments:

• Physical therapy. Icing, a compression wrap, and crutches may help reduce pain and swelling. Gentle range-of-motion and strengthening exercises for the muscles around your knee may also help to reduce your symptoms and preserve knee function.
  • Fluid drainage. Your doctor may drain the fluid from the knee joint using a needle. This is called needle aspiration and is often performed under ultrasound guidance.
  • Medication. Your doctor may inject a corticosteroid medication, such as cortisone, into your knee to reduce inflammation. This may relieve pain, but it doesn't always prevent recurrence of the cyst.

If your doctor determines that a cartilage tear is causing the overproduction of synovial fluid, he or she may recommend surgery to remove or repair the torn cartilage.

In some instances, particularly if you have osteoarthritis, the cyst may not go away even after your doctor treats the underlying cause. If the cyst doesn't get better, causes pain and interferes with your ability to bend your knee, or if — in spite of aspirations — fluid in the cyst hinders knee function, you may need to be evaluated for surgery to remove the cyst.

Self-care
    If your doctor determines that arthritis is causing the cyst, he or she may advise you to take some or all of the following steps to reduce the inflammation and lessen the production of synovial fluid:

• Follow the P.R.I.C.E. principles. These letters stand for protection, rest, ice, compression and elevation. Protect your leg by using crutches to take the weight off the knee joint and to allow pain-free walking. Rest your leg. Ice the inflamed area. Compress your knee with a wrap. And elevate your leg when possible, especially at night.
    • Try nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) or acetaminophen. NSAIDs such as aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others), naproxen (Naprosyn, Aleve, others) and similar drugs can help relieve pain, as can acetaminophen (Tylenol, others). Prescription NSAIDs can provide higher dosages and greater potency than over-the-counter NSAIDs.
    • Scale back your physical activity. Doing so will reduce irritation of your knee joint.

If i have read you initial thread correctly They are unclear as to what it is. This may or may not be cancerous you need to remeber MRI can only be as good as the person utilizing the equipment the same goes for the interpretation MRI can only magnetically see soft tissue and bone so it may not be clear but a sample of knee fluids or blood work will clearly answer the question of cancer. I will pray for you that it is not cancer i had it behind right knee melanoma 3rd stage cancer the tumor was the size of a golf ball . Primary diagnostic code:Suspicious for New Malignancy need FU

If i have read you initial thread correctly They are unclear as to what it is. This may or may not be cancerous you need to remeber MRI can only be as good as the person utilizing the equipment the same goes for the interpretation MRI can only magnetically see soft tissue and bone so it may not be clear but a sample of knee fluids or blood work will clearly answer the question of cancer. I will pray for you that it is not cancer i had it behind right knee melanoma 3rd stage cancer the tumor was the size of a golf ball . Primary diagnostic code:Suspicious for New Malignancy need FU

Youall are talking about that lump behind my l knee. That's been there for months! I figured it was just part of the swollen tissues around my knee. :lol:

And these ain't SC yet! (been claimed and appealed for a while now!) It's about 3 fingers across. Ye-GADS!

I'm beginning to think I don't like my knees... :lol:

:lol: Hello all hope all is well. Jayg Something i also failed to mention to you Try another opinion or second consult if you can that is.I also would think that if you have feet issues this is going to have some impact on your knees as well. and te treating physician knows this.I hope that i did help you in some way have agood day my brother :lol: