VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssdi Backpay

Rate this question

68chstiger

Question

When I applied for benefits I put december of 2006 as the last date I had worked. I got the letter saying I had met the medical rules for disability. The letter went on to say they had determined that I did not meet these requirements until Dec 2007. So, my question is this, does the waiting period start at Dec 2007, meaning I would not be eligible until April 2008 or is the five months figured prior to Dec 2007? I hope this is clear enough to get a response, thanks

The reason they say it was Dec 2007 was I was admitted to the hospital and have to have another stent put in.

68chstiger

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

When I applied for benefits I put december of 2006 as the last date I had worked. I got the letter saying I had met the medical rules for disability. The letter went on to say they had determined that I did not meet these requirements until Dec 2007. So, my question is this, does the waiting period start at Dec 2007, meaning I would not be eligible until April 2008 or is the five months figured prior to Dec 2007? I hope this is clear enough to get a response, thanks

The reason they say it was Dec 2007 was I was admitted to the hospital and have to have another stent put in.

68chstiger Your eligibility was established when you had your Dec 2007 hospitalization.

• HadIt.com Elder

The waiting period should start 1/1/08, if you met the criteria on any other date than 12/1/07. It generally starts the 1st of the next full month after the date they determine you met the criteria. So if they say you met the criteria on 12/05/07, then the waiting period starts 1/1/08. You can appeal that date.

pr

68chstiger

• HadIt.com Elder

You should appeal and I think that you will have no problem finding a lawyer to help you.

68chstiger

Did they have any Medical evidence of anything prior to that which would support a finding of earlier EED?

You have rights to file a Reconsideration- I dont remember how long we had to do that-

SSA awarded my husband for a catastrophic stroke.

But they had asked for all of this Med recs which included years of PTSD stuff.

The SSA tried to talk me out of preparing a Reconsideration request for my husband.

Then a SSA lawyer said we didnt have a chance for a better EED.

I went to the SSA and found their disabiltiy laws and regs.

We filed the request.(their was a short appeal date for filing anything like this)

The SSA awarded 100% under the Reconsideration for PTSD and the EED went back a year prior to the first SSA decision.

The lawyer was shocked when I called him and told him he passed up a 4500 buck fee he could have gotten (25 % of the additional retro due to PTSD that they sent to Rod.)

The DAV then told me this SSA award for PTSD would not really help Rod's claim for higher rated (he was 30% SC).

The VA, made posthumpus 100% PTSD P & T award back to the day that the SSA declared Rod 100% for PTSD.

If you have time left to file for a reconsideration and you have evidence (or could get it) that showed you were unemployable sooner then the date SSA gave you-immediately file for a Reconsideration.

I think they have a special form to use-but they will discourage you.

I have had to go through years of years of VAola recently for a lawyer-

Good thing I never bought what VA was trying to sell my husband or me-

or even what the SSA or the DAV or some SSA lawyer was trying to sell me-

I only hope that you have medical evidence (or could get it) that would support a request for reconsideration.

The good thing from all this was that the SSA lawyer told me he would never look at a PTSD SSA claim again in the same way-

he had never considered how devastating PTSD can be and that it could cause a vet to be unemployable.

Edited by Berta