VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disabled Veterans Right To Commissaries And Space Available Travel Act (h. R. 1188)

Rate this question

delta20

Question

WOW !!!

CHECK THIS OUT...

Disabled Veterans Right to Commissaries and Space Available Travel Act (Introduced in House)

HR 1188 IH

109th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 1188

To amend title 10, United States Code, to support disabled veterans by extending military commissary and exchange store privileges to such veterans and their dependents and by authorizing space-available travel on military aircraft for such veterans and their dependents.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

March 9, 2005

Mr. FILNER introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Armed Services

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A BILL

To amend title 10, United States Code, to support disabled veterans by extending military commissary and exchange store privileges to such veterans and their dependents and by authorizing space-available travel on military aircraft for such veterans and their dependents.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Disabled Veterans Right to Commissaries and Space Available Travel Act'.

SEC. 2. COMMISSARY AND EXCHANGE STORE PRIVILEGES FOR DISABLED VETERANS AND THEIR DEPENDENTS.

(a) Extension of Privileges- Chapter 54 of title 10, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following new section:

`Sec. 1065. Use of commissary and exchange stores: disabled veterans and their dependents

`(a) Disabled Veterans - A veteran with a service-connected disability rated by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs at 30 percent or more shall be permitted to use commissary and exchange stores on the same basis as a member of the armed forces entitled to retired or retainer pay.

`(B) Dependents- A dependent of a veteran described in subsection (a) shall be permitted to use commissary and exchange stores on the same basis as a dependent of a member of the armed forces entitled to retired or retainer pay.

`© Definitions- In this section, the terms `veteran' and `service-connected' have the meanings given those terms in section 101 of title 38.'.

(B) Clerical Amendment- The table of sections at the beginning of such chapter is amended by adding at the end the following new item:

`1065. Use of commissary and exchange stores: disabled veterans and their dependents.'.

SEC. 3. TRANSPORTATION ON MILITARY AIRCRAFT ON A SPACE-AVAILABLE BASIS FOR DISABLED VETERANS AND THEIR DEPENDENTS.

(a) Availability of Transportation- Chapter 157 of title 10, United States Code, is amended by inserting after section 2641a the following new section:

`Sec. 2641b. Space-available travel on Department of Defense aircraft: disabled veterans and their dependents

`(a) Disabled Veterans - The Secretary of Defense shall provide transportation on Department of Defense aircraft on a space-available basis for any veteran with a service-connected disability rated by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs at 50 percent or more on the same basis as such transportation is provided to members of the armed forces entitled to retired or retainer pay.

`(B) Dependents- A dependent of a veteran described in subsection (a) shall be permitted to travel on Department of Defense aircraft on a space-available basis on the same basis as a dependent of a member of the armed forces entitled to retired pay or retainer pay.

`© Definitions- In this section, the terms `veteran' and `service-connected' have the meanings given those terms in section 101 of title 38.'.

(B) Clerical Amendment- The table of sections at the beginning of such chapter is amended by inserting after the item relating to section 2641a the following new item:

`2641b. Space-available travel on Department of Defense aircraft: disabled veterans and their dependents.'.

SEC. 4. EFFECTIVE DATE.

Sections 1065 and 2641b of title 10, United States Code, as added by this Act, shall take effect at the end of the 90-day period beginning on the date of the enactment of this Act.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Guest allanopie

Vets with 30% SC shouldn't expect this to pass. Thisa bill has been consistantly voted down over the yrs & retirees will make sure it's voted down again.

I have no idea why they keep trying to pass this. It provides nothing but false hope to those existing on 30%. It's a privilage for retirees. They let 100% SC vets use it, but thats as far as it will go.

Vets with 30% SC shouldn't expect this to pass. Thisa bill has been consistantly voted down over the yrs & retirees will make sure it's voted down again.

I have no idea why they keep trying to pass this. It provides nothing but false hope to those existing on 30%. It's a privilage for retirees. They let 100% SC vets use it, but thats as far as it will go.

So my husband is paid at 100% and we get all the education, and theUNiformed Services ID cards, he is Service connected at 100% now. So are we able to do space A travel . I do not think we ever would my husband is not good at waiting on anything , and he won't fly anymore . But I would just like to know. Thanks Mary& Greg.

• HadIt.com Elder
So my husband is paid at 100% and we get all the education, and theUNiformed Services ID cards, he is Service connected at 100% now. So are we able to do space A travel . I do not think we ever would my husband is not good at waiting on anything , and he won't fly anymore . But I would just like to know. Thanks Mary& Greg.

Mary:

I would not hold my breath waiting for this one. Don't blame it on retirees either its the DOD that does not want to see it pass.

As far as 30% and up Disabled Vets getting PX privledges I don't see how it would hurt and would expect if it was seperated from Space A it might fly. After all there are a lot of PX's and they probably would like a couple of million new customers.

• HadIt.com Elder

Mary, NO, 100% disabled vets do NOT do Space A travel. ~Wings

WOW !!!

CHECK THIS OUT...

Disabled Veterans Right to Commissaries and Space Available Travel Act (Introduced in House)

HR 1188 IH

109th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 1188

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

March 9, 2005

Mr. FILNER introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Armed Services

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A BILL

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Disabled Veterans Right to Commissaries and Space Available Travel Act'.

SEC. 2. COMMISSARY AND EXCHANGE STORE PRIVILEGES FOR DISABLED VETERANS AND THEIR DEPENDENTS.

(a) Extension of Privileges- Chapter 54 of title 10, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following new section:

`Sec. 1065. Use of commissary and exchange stores: disabled veterans and their dependents

`(a) Disabled Veterans - A veteran with a service-connected disability rated by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs at 30 percent or more shall be permitted to use commissary and exchange stores on the same basis as a member of the armed forces entitled to retired or retainer pay.

`(:) Dependents- A dependent of a veteran described in subsection (a) shall be permitted to use commissary and exchange stores on the same basis as a dependent of a member of the armed forces entitled to retired or retainer pay.

(B) Clerical Amendment- The table of sections at the beginning of such chapter is amended by adding at the end the following new item:

`1065. Use of commissary and exchange stores: disabled veterans and their dependents.'.

SEC. 3. TRANSPORTATION ON MILITARY AIRCRAFT ON A SPACE-AVAILABLE BASIS FOR DISABLED VETERANS AND THEIR DEPENDENTS.

(a) Availability of Transportation- Chapter 157 of title 10, United States Code, is amended by inserting after section 2641a the following new section:

`Sec. 2641b. Space-available travel on Department of Defense aircraft: disabled veterans and their dependents

`(a) Disabled Veterans - The Secretary of Defense shall provide transportation on Department of Defense aircraft on a space-available basis for any veteran with a service-connected disability rated by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs at 50 percent or more on the same basis as such transportation is provided to members of the armed forces entitled to retired or retainer pay.

`(B) Dependents- A dependent of a veteran described in subsection (a) shall be permitted to travel on Department of Defense aircraft on a space-available basis on the same basis as a dependent of a member of the armed forces entitled to retired pay or retainer pay.

(B) Clerical Amendment- The table of sections at the beginning of such chapter is amended by inserting after the item relating to section 2641a the following new item:

`2641b. Space-available travel on Department of Defense aircraft: disabled veterans and their dependents.'.

SEC. 4. EFFECTIVE DATE.

Sections 1065 and 2641b of title 10, United States Code, as added by this Act, shall take effect at the end of the 90-day period beginning on the date of the enactment of this Act.

I have followed this for years and beleive me when I say the retirees do fight this. For some reason they feel it will take away their seats which just is not true. They are catergory six, the last catergory to be able to fly. If a catergory seven was formulated for DAV'S then the retirees could not have their seats taken. Half the time these air craft are leaving half full. One reason it will not pass is due to the 30% being added to it. Previously it was for 100%. The 30% being elgible will scare the heck out of the retirees. I used to fly space-a and loved it.

Sometimes you have to wait, but it was worth it. It was free. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!