VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is There A Difference?

Rate this question

luvHIM

Question

POA left msg on voicemail that a rating determination had been made on my claim and they will send me a courtesy letter when they get the info.

Is there a difference between a rating determination and decision (as in a flat out denial)? I've been on a search but I can't find anything to my specific question. Thanks in advance for your response.

Edited by luvHIM

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

POA left msg on voicemail that a rating determination had been made on my claim and they will send me a courtesy letter when they get the info.

Is there a difference between a rating determination and decision (as in a flat out denial)? I've been on a search but I can't find anything to my specific question. Thanks in advance for your response.

I could be wrong but I think the following (from Hadit) answers my question...rating determination means the RO has made a decision, which could be a denial.

What VA Does after Obtaining Your Records

After the Rating Veterans Service Representative has attempted to secure all the records (or evidence) required by law (including the report of any examinations), he/she reviews your file and makes a decision on the claim according to the law and the particular facts in your case. In the rating decision, the Rating Veterans Service Representative lists the evidence, the decision, and the reasons for it. VA then sends the decision with a cover letter. If benefits are granted, the letter provides the monthly payment amount and the effective date. Payments usually begin soon after you receive the letter (see Disability Award Attachment Information). However, if benefits are not granted and you think the decision was in error, or if you think the percentage evaluation or effective date is wrong, you may appeal. see How Do I Appeal

• HadIt.com Elder

IMHO

rating determination: award of claim or denial of claim, service-connected, or non-service connected

rating decision: disability percentages %

No difference just reference to the different stages within the process. When the rater finishes the work on the claim it is referred to as a determination. It then goes to the post team to insure all admin work is correct: i's dotted, t's crossed - they then input the information into the computer etc... and issue a rating decision to the veteran (this is simply the determination made by the rater put into a format the veteran can understand which includes all of the crap required by Title 38 U.S.C. ie applicale laws, evidence reviewed etc....). The veteran then receives a notice of rating decision which is the final written format of all of the above. The final rating decision, which you receive, is the same as the rating determination and could be a denial or approval. Short answer is both are the same.

Okay, thanks. I guess, and maybe this is just pushing it to be an award, that if it had been denied my POA would have just said that. I mean, they took the time out to call and tell me a decision had been made. They could have just as easily indicated it was a denial (if it was) and let me know I would be getting the decision letter explaining everything soon, right? I don't know. I think I would have done better without the call. Oh, p.s., they did ask me to return the call today between 8-12noon. But I was not able to do that...had another appointment.

Edited by luvHIM

Okay, thanks. I guess, and maybe this is just pushing it to be an award, that if it had been denied my POA would have just said that. I mean, they took the time out to call and tell me a decision had been made. They could have just as easily indicated it was a denial (if it was) and let me know I would be getting the decision letter explaining everything soon, right? I don't know. I think I would have done better without the call. Oh, p.s., they did ask me to return the call today between 8-12noon. But I was not able to do that...had another appointment.

I had the same thing happen to me When you call the 800 number they do not want to give info intil you recive the letter. The way around that is to ask what is my current disabilty rateing. When the clerk on the phone told me 80 percent I Knew I won my claim for my back

Jim