VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anxiety With Depression Vs Ptsd

Rate this question

Ryan H.

Question

I have been thinking about this alot latly. I am service connected for Anxiety and recently filed for an increase. I am not service connected for PTSD. I had a mental health C&P and it was the one for other than PTSD. The exam and my VA shrink both state that I have significant symptoms of PTSD and have me on meds for Depression and sleep loss. I am wondering if the VA will either change my service connection from anxiety to PTSD, or will they Possibly give me the increase based on my symptoms and relate it to anxiety and leave out the PTSD? If they do that then should I file a seperate claim for PTSD so that the anxiety and depression are covered in one rating instead of 2 seperate ones. I am not service connected for depression and have a 0% rating for anxiety. Any info or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

First of all you will never receive two seperate ratings for a MH issue.

I guess if you had a change of dianosis you could file for the VA to change the name of your diagnosis.

• HadIt.com Elder

Do you have a copy of your Cfile and VA medical records, SMRs? Your VA medical records (usually in your Cfile) should have your current diagnosis and doctor visit report filed. Diagnosis's are listed there. If the Records Office balks at giving you a copy of mh records, ask your doc for help.

To get an change in diagnosis or increase, you have to do the paperwork simply asking for an increase. They are supposed to give you a VCAA form telling you what if anything else they need.

Best to ya, CG

I have been thinking about this alot latly. I am service connected for Anxiety and recently filed for an increase. I am not service connected for PTSD. I had a mental health C&P and it was the one for other than PTSD. The exam and my VA shrink both state that I have significant symptoms of PTSD and have me on meds for Depression and sleep loss. I am wondering if the VA will either change my service connection from anxiety to PTSD, or will they Possibly give me the increase based on my symptoms and relate it to anxiety and leave out the PTSD? If they do that then should I file a separate claim for PTSD so that the anxiety and depression are covered in one rating instead of 2 separate ones. I am not service connected for depression and have a 0% rating for anxiety. Any info or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Ryan H.

IN 1998 I Filed for depression also in 1998 the VRO gave me a different Dx. call Dysthymia, In 2001 the first time I went to see a VA psychiatric with a referral from a private and fellow psychiatric. I surrendered the medical evidence, records and referral along with various diagnosis: PTSD and MDD. Anyway the attending Va-psy Dx's me with "MDD with a GAF score of 60" and this went on for [3]years, same writing same information. See the va-psy were more interested in my private family matters and never addressed the private-Psy referral. In all I've been seen by [3] va-psy and each and every one have eluded that information. My last va-psy didn't even accepted a 2007 IME. It's very clear to me they can see the VAC&P examinations and their own VA-health system electronic data entangle information not available to you.

I was finally awarded a 30% for Dysthymia with a longstanding Hx. of Anxiety - in Feb 2008 and an effective date beginning in 1998. My point is that the VA will manage your case and will Dx's you in a way that it is costly efficient to the them. I also believed that it is up to you to manage your case you will only be rated for one (mh)condition ut with your effort they can acknowledge your anxiety, depression and other (mh) condition(s) that mat be secondary to your PTSD.

lol

lu12

Edited by lu12

I do not have my C-file. I found this site after I had already submitted the paperwork for the increases. I do, however have every scrap of paperwork the VA has sent me since My EAS in 2005, and my service medical records. I also have a complete record of every MH visit and C&P since I started this Back in Jan. I did not see the VA from May 05 - Jan 08. I was not enrolled in the Va health care system untill Jan when I decided that I deserved an increase on my ankle. The Va then screened me for PTSD when i decided to enroll i the VA system, and it came up positive due to suicidal intentions and sever depression. Thats how all of this started. Thanks for the opinions!

• HadIt.com Elder

Ryan:

I personally think you are much better off pursuing anxiety with depression over using the much hard PTSD route. I am 100% for Panic Disorder with Major Depression and I exhibit PTSD symptoms when I am screened.

To me your claim looks solid as it is and if I were you I would wait for a decision.

Good Luck