VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Confused On Filing For Life Insurance

Rate this question

kris

Question

My SO and others have told me to file for 10,000 free life insurance.

My first claim was 50% for panic attacks with depression accepted June 2006. I was just given 70%(100% Tdiu) april 2008. So that is within the two years, right? When I called the 800 life insurance number I was so confused when I got off the phone with the lady. I then went down to talk to someone about this $10,000 life insurance and the lady said she did not know if I qualified. So now I am asking you guys and gals how this works. And also what kind of forms would I fill out.

Thank you

Kris

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

You can apply for the $10,000.00 Service Disabled Veterans Life Insurance within TWO years of any rating decision, even a 0% rating.

You can either fill out VA FORM 29-4364 or fill out the online form.

Here is a link to the SDVI page:

VA Service Disabled VEterans Life Insurance

Once you get approved for the Life Insurance, if they do not already see an infered claim for a Waiver of Premiums, then you just request that they give you a Waiver of Premiums. If that is approved, then the $10,000.00 in life insurance is premium free for you.

If you do get approved for the "Waiver of Premiums", then you automatically become available to purchase an additional $20,000.00 of Life Insurance, but you must pay for the additional insurance, you can not get a waiver on the additional $20,000.00 of insurance.

So you end up with a total of $30,000.00 in insurance but you only pay for $20,000.00.

Hope this helps!

My SO and others have told me to file for 10,000 free life insurance.

My first claim was 50% for panic attacks with depression accepted June 2006. I was just given 70%(100% Tdiu) april 2008. So that is within the two years, right? When I called the 800 life insurance number I was so confused when I got off the phone with the lady. I then went down to talk to someone about this $10,000 life insurance and the lady said she did not know if I qualified. So now I am asking you guys and gals how this works. And also what kind of forms would I fill out.

Thank you

Kris

Kris, I believe you are close to running out of time. You can file on the Jun 06. I don't believe you can file on an increase, it has to be a new SC. I also believe you have to be 100% to be waived the $10,000 but I am not positive. Someone will clarify. Better get going.

Kris, I believe you are close to running out of time. You can file on the Jun 06. I don't believe you can file on an increase, it has to be a new SC. I also believe you have to be 100% to be waived the $10,000 but I am not positive. Someone will clarify. Better get going.

You are correct it is Two Years from a new connection not just an increase.

As for the waiver, you DO NOT have to be 100% Service Connected, but you must be considered unemployable.

• In Memoriam

This is how it worked for me.

I called the lady.

She said that she did not know if I was eligible. She sent me the application with the different premium rates. I sent in the application for the $10,000 premium. The insurance company sent back a statement saying that I was qualified. I then sent in for the amount of insurance that I wanted in excess of the $10,000.

Tell her to send you the application. They will make the determination.