VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Minn Disabled Veterans

Rate this question

frosty69

Question

I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, but this is for only MN disabled veterans rated higher then 70% disabled. You have to go to your local county assesor office to get the papers, and sign up before July 1, 2008, I picked up my papers today.

MDVA Bill Review

DATE: March 14, 2008

BILL NO: HF: 3201 CHAPTER: 154

CHIEF AUTHORS: Representative Ann Lenczewski and Senator Tom Bakk

TITLE: Omnibus Tax Bill

SUMMARY:

On, Friday, March 7, 2008 the governor signed into law the Omnibus Technical

Corrections Tax bill. This bill had two provisions of interest to veterans.

First, the bill provides full or partial valuation property tax exclusion for homesteads of

disabled veterans with a disability rating of 70 percent or greater, as determined by the

United States Department of Veterans Affairs.

This new benefit consists of two tiers:

• $150,000 market value exclusion, for a veteran with a serviceconnected

disability rated at 70 percent to 100 percent; or

• $300,000 market value exclusion, for a veteran with a serviceconnected

disability rated as being total and permanent.

Upon the death of a veteran qualifying for the exclusion because of a total and

permanent disability, the market value exclusion carries over to the person’s spouse, if

the spouse co‐owns or inherits the home and permanently resides in the home. For an

agricultural homestead, the market value exclusion applies to only the house, garage

and surrounding one acre of land.

The bill also provides that property qualifying for valuation exclusion under this bill is

not eligible for the market value credit. The property owner must apply to the assessor

each year, unless the person’s disability is rated as total and permanent.

This is effective for assessment year 2008, taxes payable in 2009, and thereafter.

Secondly, the bill expands the 4c property classification to non‐profit community

service‐oriented organizations that make charitable contributions and donations at least

equal to the organization’s previous year’s property taxes and that allow the property to

be used for public and community meetings or events at no charge, as appropriate to

the size of the facility.

Under current law, real property up to a maximum of one acre that is owned by a nonprofit

community service‐oriented organization qualifies for class 4c if the property is

not used for revenue producing activity for more than six days in the calendar year

preceding the year of the assessment. The bill leaves that option, but adds a second

alternative to qualify.

This second option extends the maximum land size to 3 acres. The acreage is made

larger primarily to allow for parking lots, ball fields, etc. It provides that an

organization qualifies if it makes annual charitable contributions and donations at least

equal to the organization’s previous year’s property taxes and it allows the property to

be used, size permitting, for public and community meetings or events for no charge.

The types of organizations that would be affected by this change are the VFWs,

American Legions, Knights of Columbus, etc.

The bill defines “charitable contributions and donations” as having the same meaning

as the lawful gambling purposes, excluding those purposes relating to the payment of

taxes, assessments, fees, auditing costs and utility payments.

This change is effective for the 2008 assessment and thereafter, taxes payable in 2009

and thereafter. For the 2008 assessment year, the application deadline is extended to

September 1, 2008.

The Omnibus bill also contained some items of interest to military members. The

following items were contained in the bill,

Hardship assessment deferral; military persons. The bill extends the option to defer

certain assessments to members of the National Guard and military reserves ordered

into active service. Currently a county, city, or town, at its discretion may defer the

payment of special assessment for any homestead property of seniors and disabled

persons that it determines cause a hardship. National Guard and reserve members in

active service are added to the authorization. This provision was effective the day

following final enactment and applies to any special assessment for which payment is

due on or after that date. The date of enactment was March 7, 2008.

The bill also contained subtractions from taxable income; out‐of‐state military service

of National Guard. Provides that the 2005 enactment that exempts from state taxation

a filer’s earnings for out‐of‐state military service applies to National Guard personnel in

the same manner that it is applies to other Military Reservists. Federal law defines the

term active duty for military Reservists other than the National Guard in Title 10 of

United States Code, but for National Guard personnel in Title 32 of federal code (in

nearly identical language). This would extend the subtraction to

• basic training at out‐of‐state military facilities

• special training and annual training at out‐of‐state military facilities

• Mexican border patrol duty

This part is effective beginning in tax year 2008.

The bill also allows the estate or heirs of a deceased member of the military to

retroactively claim the credit for combat service that occurred before January 1, 2006.

Current law allows only a surviving spouse or dependent to claim the credit on behalf

of individuals who died before January 1, 2006, and only if the member of the military

died as a result of combat zone activity. Current law also allows for the credit to be

claimed on a deceased individual’s final return for individuals who die on or after

January 1, 2006. This change allows the credit to be claimed for all combat zone service

since September 11, 2001, by the estate or heirs of deceased members of the military

who do not have a surviving spouse or dependent, and who died before January 1,

2006. This is effective retroactively for tax years beginning after December 31, 2005.

Additionally, the bill puts Minnesota in conformance with The Heroes Earned

Retirement Opportunities Act, Public Law 109‐227, enacted May 29, 2006, which allows

military personnel to count tax‐exempt combat pay as earned income for the purpose of

qualifying to make tax deductible contributions to individual retirement accounts,

effective retroactively to tax year 2004.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

another state passes a great law that helps veterans and their families I would be sending thank you notes to your state lawmakers thanking them if I lived there, I am surprised at how few states have these type of exemptions for disabled veterans and their families. South Carolina to me seems to have the best benefits, free college for kids, hunting and fishing 2 free car plates, yada yada yada all in all I would rather not be totally disabled but since I am I do appreciate the freebies

COOL BEANS!!!!!! I lived & worked in Minn for 3 years but moved back to Arkansas after I lost my job because Minn is a pretty high tax state. i also actually won my claim for 100% P & T for TDIU in Minn. Maybe i will give that state another look :lol: Arkansas also has personal & property tax exemption for 100% P & T vets.

Liz

• HadIt.com Elder

Testvet

I guess the majority of people in S.C. live near the coast. How does this affect the property insurance rates since you guys do have hurricanes like Hugo? It has made Florida into a place to leave. Where I live in Fla. if we have a major storm I am sure I will never be able to afford property insurance again. Vet benefits here are pretty good, but the state sucks due to state and local government being corrupt and worthless. If I did not own my house outright I think I would sell it. Of course, now things are so bad that selling a house here is very difficult. Houses have been on the market for years on my block. First they are too expensive and now they just won't sell. I can't stand a cold climate due to arthritus.