VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea Secondary To Gerd

Rate this topic

dwilli12

8 May 08

30% SC (10% - Lt foot surg, 10% - Rt foot surg, 10% - Laceration w/scar Rt thigh, 0%- multiple conditions)

Just had C&P exam for sleep apnea at St Pete VAMC, already had two sleep studies w diagnosis AFTER retirement (20 yrs USAF), buddy letters and wife affadavits, secondary to GERD which is 0% SC already. I took the CPAP to the C&P, the provider laughed good naturedly and asked if it was "show and tell" today. I said "Yes, ma'm!" I expect 50% for the SA for a total of 50% + 5% + 4.5% + 4.05 % = 63.55% rounded down to 60%. Puts me in range for CRDP and some retro as well.

Its been 2.5 years since I filed for SA and it's been denied twice. AMVETS rep has kept it alive by asking for more evidence and IMEs and requesting reconsideration instead of formal appeal. This C&P is the first movement I have seen on the VBA's part that was not stonewall. This might work out after all.

16 May 08

Take heart! I got the call today from my AMVETS rep - VA has granted me SC for Sleep Apnea (secondary to my 0% for GERD), despite the fact that it was diagnosed more than a year after retirement. My 2 sleep studies and 3 IMO/IME letters (all from private docs) put me over the top. Interesting, though.......My rep says that I am now rated 70%......I thought SA with CPAP is rated at 50%, and when you add in my three 10% SC conditions you get the following: 50% + 5% + 4.5% + 4.05 % = 63.55% >>>> 60%.

Either he is mistaken (I hope not) or they have found another 10% somewhere.

And they gave me an effective date back to 30 Dec 05, when I first filed for SA. So the last 2.5 years have been worth it all. I owe AMVETS and my rep a huge thank you, and a lifetime membership.

While I joined hadit.com late in the game, I have still read valuable advice here. I hope all of you will persist in your efforts to get the benefits we earned, need, and deserve. Send any questions about my BVA experiences to date, and I'll be glad to share.

Air Power!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 May 08

30% SC (10% - Lt foot surg, 10% - Rt foot surg, 10% - Laceration w/scar Rt thigh, 0%- multiple conditions)

Just had C&P exam for sleep apnea at St Pete VAMC, already had two sleep studies w diagnosis AFTER retirement (20 yrs USAF), buddy letters and wife affadavits, secondary to GERD which is 0% SC already. I took the CPAP to the C&P, the provider laughed good naturedly and asked if it was "show and tell" today. I said "Yes, ma'm!" I expect 50% for the SA for a total of 50% + 5% + 4.5% + 4.05 % = 63.55% rounded down to 60%. Puts me in range for CRDP and some retro as well.

Its been 2.5 years since I filed for SA and it's been denied twice. AMVETS rep has kept it alive by asking for more evidence and IMEs and requesting reconsideration instead of formal appeal. This C&P is the first movement I have seen on the VBA's part that was not stonewall. This might work out after all.

16 May 08

Take heart! I got the call today from my AMVETS rep - VA has granted me SC for Sleep Apnea (secondary to my 0% for GERD), despite the fact that it was diagnosed more than a year after retirement. My 2 sleep studies and 3 IMO/IME letters (all from private docs) put me over the top. Interesting, though.......My rep says that I am now rated 70%......I thought SA with CPAP is rated at 50%, and when you add in my three 10% SC conditions you get the following: 50% + 5% + 4.5% + 4.05 % = 63.55% >>>> 60%.

Either he is mistaken (I hope not) or they have found another 10% somewhere.

And they gave me an effective date back to 30 Dec 05, when I first filed for SA. So the last 2.5 years have been worth it all. I owe AMVETS and my rep a huge thank you, and a lifetime membership.

While I joined hadit.com late in the game, I have still read valuable advice here. I hope all of you will persist in your efforts to get the benefits we earned, need, and deserve. Send any questions about my BVA experiences to date, and I'll be glad to share.

Air Power!

Congrats

Maybe they are paying you for your GERD. I get 50 percent for sleep apena and 30 for gerd

Jim

• 13 years later...

30 November 21

50% (30% - GERD,20% -  lower lf.leg injury, 10% - Hemorrhoids. 

I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea 04 March 20 and use a CPAP.  Sleep study contracted through the Va.

I need help filling SA secondary to my GERD.

THANKS!

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi bobbygreen49, weicome to Hadit. OSA secondary to GERD is a tough one, as it can be a high value disability at 50% if you are diagnosed and use a cpap machine. The problem partly is that the VA usually sees the claim the other way around, that is, GERD secondary to OSA. But it is winable! Search BVA decisions. If you have been denied, keep at it.  I'd consider a law firm such as CC&K or Hill and Ponton. see https://cck-law.com/blog/va-secondary-conditions-to-gerd-ratings/#sleep-apnea-secondary-to-gerd  Keep us informed and best of luck.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use