VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Celexa

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I went to VA yesterday and saw my Mental Health Nurse Practitioner. For some reason she prescribed Celexa for me to take and made an appointment to see her again August 4th.

Anyone know anything about Celexa as I don't have a clue.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to VA yesterday and saw my Mental Health Nurse Practitioner. For some reason she prescribed Celexa for me to take and made an appointment to see her again August 4th.

Anyone know anything about Celexa as I don't have a clue.

Pete, I was started on Paxil and Klonopin right after my original C&P for PTSD on Feb. 1st. I was just recently awarded 70% disability for PTSD so my condition is fairly severe.

I did not like the side effects I was having with Paxil (turned me into a poop machine :angry: ) so they switched me to 40 mg of Celexa for depression and kept me on 1.5 mg of Klonopin. The Klonopin is for anxiety.

This was about 3 months ago and so far it is working well. I take the Celexa in the morning in one dose, otherwise it keeps me awake if I take it at night. I take the Klonopin ( 1.5 mg) about 1 1/2 hours before I go to bed. The original perscription called for 1 mg at night and 1/2 mg in the morning but if I take Klonopin in the daytime it makes me groggy.

I am taking the generic for each. Citalopram(celexa) and clonazepam (klonopin). This mixture has worked pretty well for me although I don't have a lot of energy. If I do have an anxiety attack is much less severe than before. I also sleep fairly well and I was barely sleeping at all before starting this mixture. It took the Celexa a few weeks to kick in for me. As you already know, what works for one doesn't necessarily work for the next guy.

If I drink anything at all, I skip the Klonopin at night and I don't sleep a wink. Luckily for me I don't drink much any more.

• 1 month later...

I can ditto the words of made me sick at my stomach, dizzy also. Also celexa clashed with my other medications, lisinopril and others. I wish you the best in finding one that works. I think the person that takes quiet a bit of other medication has a tougher time finding one that will work and helps. My doctor told me after the 4th medication attempt that had adverse effects, some serious, that about 50% of all patients can't find a medication they can tolerate or one that will help.

I don't know anything about this drug but I have serious side effects from the smallest amounts of drugs to the point my MD is putting me on liquid paxil at one drop at a time and for me to increase as I can. Once I am up to a teaspoon and half she will switch me to effexor 37.5 mg.

Perhaps if you have trouble with this drug you might ask about the liquid Paxil until you can tolerate other similiar drugs without the side effects.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks its been helping me I feel better. Lisinopril caused me to have a dry hacking cough especially when I laid down to try and rest. Thank God I researched it on internet and complained to Doc who switched me to Cosar which I tolerate much better but not as good control on BP.

Hope to get some issues resolved on July 15th my next appointment.