VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Is Degenerative Disc Disease Rated?

Rate this question

oldman273

Question

Hello to everybody, I need to know how the Degenerative disc disease is rated and on my last C/P I was rated @ 10% My thoughts are if all they used were x-rays how acurate would the rating be? I have some mri of my spine from 2006 that I am going to present for evidence in a claim. The MRI was doen at my local hospital I have had a dsicectomy where they cleaned out the disc that was falling apart. I am no nuerologist but I have Disc Disease in L3, L4, L5 and L5 S1 I knwo that it hurts me everyday. Any advice from those of you cursed as I am with a bad back let em know. Should I wait a period of time before putting this or right now since the claim just came back? I told the fellow I woud post it and find out. I look forward to anyone one who has been down this road. Thanks again....

oldman273, I my self am presently rated at 40% DDD/IVDS and over the last 13 years and filed for an increase and was denied even with years of constant monthly medical treatment and therapy. 3 years ago I finally give in to the pain and unable to work due to incapacitating pain and 3 MD's stating so, and one Doctor stating I was unable to return to work scripts due to being incapacitated, and another stated he had treated me for years, I was disabled and wouldn't be able to seek any gainfully activity and that he thought that surgical intervention may be needed, the 3rd doctor stated about the same. I still made medical exams through the years with the VA. I turned in my independent medical records to the VA with my claim, yeeeeears worth. I was denied because the doctors did not state specifically I was proscribed bed rest, just that I was "totally incapacitated" with pain. So I had to go back to my doctor for a specification of my condition and treatment that has left me house bound.

The only problem I have with this is when you have years of medical evidence and stating your totally incapacitated is there another kind "incapacitated"?

incapacitated - lacking in or deprived of strength or power; "lying ill and helpless"

The VA has there own definishion and it adds "prescribed more than 6 wks of bed rest out of a year. Now do you go to the VA to get this script miles away? when you can't sit or stand at all?

Edited by yoggie2

I wanted to update my progress with VA. I was turned away after a vist to Sick call (ER visit) I was told that since I am under a contract for my opiate pain medicine I am not alowed any additonal pain meds I made sure doc knew right awy I wanted to be seen for my back not there for just pain meds. Result 100 mile one way trip appoinment made for MRI I was told that I should loose weight to control blood presssure and help my back. I told my Doc to check my record had High blood pressure since boot camp weighed in at 135lbs then Long long ago. I was angry being treated that way but did not show out I am planning on calling hospital and writing a letter Doc was same person who I had switched from serive years before due to back issues when I was told nothing wrong with my back prior to outside surgery. What is any ones thoughts on my experince? I was not a drug seeker I was there to find out if it was just a normal back being out or another dsic blown out. I can not put on my shoes at thsi time nor sleep much at all going on third day of little sleep. I thank you for your time just wanted to update share my experince. Love to hear from you all I am tired of being treated like a drug seeker when I did not go for drugs. I am happy that I got an MRI. thanks...

• HadIt.com Elder

The lower ratings are inclusive of expected periods of bed rest.

VERY IMPORTANT

If you want a higher rating you need to be curently treated by a doctor who has made a written prescription for bed rest of six weks in the last year to get 60%. You cannot just walk into a C&P and tell them you have been resting in bed. I have seen many BVA cases that denied 60% whereby they ask one question of the veteran. Did a doctor who is treating you prescribe 6 weeks or more of bed rest in the last year? The veteran says NO and the VA says higher rating denied.

There are other ways to get to sixty percent with range of motion of the entire spine and neurological problems. If you are post surgical and still in pain and not working or missing work and need a higher rating consider the bed rest option. I have BVA cases that have been awarded on this criteria and can post the docket number if you need it.

thxs hoppy, im NSC Pension ,50 yrs old and was awarded in my pension claim 30% back..i know this isnt to be considered in SC claims, however,,, they/ i would think consider it if i dont have the range of motion.... and I have the MRI's/SMR's too back up my SC claim..no/yes? did i confuse u / me?? lol thanks, william n

The lower ratings are inclusive of expected periods of bed rest.

VERY IMPORTANT

If you want a higher rating you need to be curently treated by a doctor who has made a written prescription for bed rest of six weks in the last year to get 60%. You cannot just walk into a C&P and tell them you have been resting in bed. I have seen many BVA cases that denied 60% whereby they ask one question of the veteran. Did a doctor who is treating you prescribe 6 weeks or more of bed rest in the last year? The veteran says NO and the VA says higher rating denied.

There are other ways to get to sixty percent with range of motion of the entire spine and neurological problems. If you are post surgical and still in pain and not working or missing work and need a higher rating consider the bed rest option. I have BVA cases that have been awarded on this criteria and can post the docket number if you need it.

Hey I do thank you for the infromation if you could post a link I will go look it up I got my rating down from the VA and no mention of L3-L4-L4-L5-L5-S1 Degnaritve disc Disease. I had wanted a new MRI for my back since I had a reallly bad episode this last week. I had never been to Sick call within the VA until then but no more. I do thank you and I did want o make a point to mention I was just ahppy to get the DDD in and get service conection. Thank You for your information and help....