VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Iraqi Vet Question

Rate this question

qwiksting

Question

Hi all and first , thanks for reading my post and if you have any comments, double thanks. I returned from Iraq in 05, went to the va with stomach problems {burning all the time}. I was given a Upper GI, doc said I had a small ulcer, was scheduled for a endoscope, which finally happened today,{3yrs later}. The report said I have a "small linear ulcer in distal esophagus,hiatal hernia, reflux was apparent in the esophagus" I am rated vetran now. However, I heard if I opened a new claim, that I could be re evaluated on other issues that I already have a rating for. I am not sure if I want to go thru all of that again, but, with what the doc stated on the report today, should I open a claim, and what should I Claim? I am kinda new to all this, do each of his findings warrant a seperate claim, or is it inclusive? As I said, I reported it to the va as soon as i was discharged in 05, and was immediately put on meds and upper GI performed, so it is service connected, IMO.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Don't believe the hype! The VA will more than likely just review your claim and leave the other SC problems alone.

Now if your current SC has something to do with your new claim they may review it to see if that health issue is of the same catagory, because they dont want to pyramid your claims, saves them money.

If its a totally different health issue, don't sweat it. I have GI issues that they can not figure out. I have been through every test they have.

I was rated 10% for Gulf War Illness. Denied for a bunch of other stuff because I have been focused on the major health issues.

Anyways file your claims and good luck!

First and foremost welcome back home and to Hadit. Secondly, I am CSO, and what should happen is that they should only evaluate you for your new claims......UNLESS you indicate something that would trigger speculation of fraud. Which I don't believe is your case or most cases. Some CSO's and NSO's will tell you what you heard, to just caution you.....as they say cya......does it happen, of course somethings happen, but it's extremely rare, I'd say somewhere like 2% maybe on a national level...I could be wrong, I am just estimating......for the other Marine here....Semper Fi brother!

1st let me say Welcome Home to you and all the Iraq Vets from a Viet Nam Vet we do care about all of you and Thanks to T Bird for this web and all that post the great info to help all us Vets

Now you go down to that VA and put in your Claim and you tell all the Vets that you know to do so also. Many Viet Nam Vet will not go near a VA anything so like me it takes 40 yrs to get her done

The very best to you, Sgt Mac

Just for future reference: the VA is capable of anything at anytime. Now with that out of the way. Unless an action on your part causes such an action on their part they will simply review your new claim and make a decision. Such an action on your part would be a request for an increased rating of something you are already service connected on.

The VA is currently 600,000 claims behind and tap dancing to keep congress at arms length so they do not have time to go mucking around in a claim folder. They may give it a cusory look over for about 30 seconds but thats about it.

At any rate, if you remain disabled at the level of disability awarded to you on your already service connected disability then you have nothing to worry about. File any valid claim that you have. Good luck.