VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Purplr Heart

Rate this question

windy city

Question

I was watching the evening news when the subjet about ptsd and purple heart was broughtup again. What do you guys think about it? I feel they should be awarded but wiyh no compensation been awarded.

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Well It's really complicated!! The logistics alone would be a nightmare for the DOD. They could spend that money on better Mental healthcare.

You start this ball rolling, then what about Agent Orange, and Gulf War Illness ?

I do have one thing to say.. During Desert Storm over 100,000 troops were exposed to Iraqi Chemicals and should be awared the PH if they have illness from it.

• HadIt.com Elder

This subject has been around & around forever. I have PTSD & have had Cancer from Agent Orange. I don't deserve, want, need, care, about a Purple Heart. It would cheapen the PH for those injured in our nations wars. If I get medical care & a check that's all I want or deserve. Surely I can't be the only that feels that way.

Don

Well It's really complicated!! The logistics alone would be a nightmare for the DOD. They could spend that money on better Mental healthcare.

You start this ball rolling, then what about Agent Orange, and Gulf War Illness ?

I do have one thing to say.. During Desert Storm over 100,000 troops were exposed to Iraqi Chemicals and should be awared the PH if they have illness from it.

I am also a veteran sick from exposures in the gulf war, I think that they should be included along agent orange vets.

I say unless your wounded in combat you do not deserve it.

I understand the arguement, but if you start giving it for PTSD, then you have to give it for vehicle accidents, etc. No lets leave it the way George Washington entended it to be.

I remember when I was on active duty the Army created the overseas service ribbon, Army Service ribbon, and the NCO PD ribbon, just so the new recruits had something to put on their uniform. So if anything is done at all let them make up a new award...

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

Keep the Purple Heart the way it is, and create some new medals! ~Wings

I was watching the evening news when the subjet about ptsd and purple heart was broughtup again. What do you guys think about it? I feel they should be awarded but wiyh no compensation been awarded.

Human nature being what it is, I think it would be an invitation for some unscrupulous parties to game the system. Some undeserving parties would get it based on their acting ability, while some deserving parties would keep things bottled up until their DD-214s were yellowing parchment in an attic trunk.

Napoleon said something to the effect of "give me enough ribbon and I can conquer the world." I don't know about y'all, but it seems that the only medal that seems to have any significant utility in postmilitary life is the Medal of Honor. At least that one comes with a pension.

Pfft to world conquering. Let's take the time, money and effort that would go into PTSD purple hearts and put it into...uh, I don't know, fulfilling

the mission to "to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and for his orphan." Let's adjudicate those C&P claims in a timely manner and get them right the first time, for starters.