VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Purplr Heart

Rate this question

windy city

Question

I was watching the evening news when the subjet about ptsd and purple heart was broughtup again. What do you guys think about it? I feel they should be awarded but wiyh no compensation been awarded.

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

George Washington issued it as a way to honor soldiers for valor not blood loss it was General MacArthur that made the Purple Heart what it is today when he was the Army Chief of Staff.

• HadIt.com Elder

The DOD would consider AO as friendly fire. My brother-in-law was killed by a defective grenade in Vietnam. His cause of death was "accidental self-destruction" according to the Marines. They blamed him because he had defective old grenades probably from WWII or Korea. He died while getting on a chopper to go on a combat mission. When your own guys kill you then you don't get a medal.

• HadIt.com Elder

John the guys in Gulf War one wouldn't have been exposed to the chemical agents either if the Army had not decided to destroy Kamisayah Ammunition Depot in March 1991 without sending anyone in to see what the bunkers held, if they had then they would not have blown up millions of CW rounds and rockets filled with Sarin and mustard agents Saddam or his troops didn't fire them General Schwarzkopf or someone over him ordered them destoryed so in a way that was "friendly fire" also

George Washington issued it as a way to honor soldiers for valor not blood loss it was General MacArthur that made the Purple Heart what it is today when he was the Army Chief of Staff.

Actually ....if you want to get technical

The original Purple Heart, was designated as the Badge of military merit, was established by George Washington then the commander in cheif of the Continental Army—by order from his Newburgh, New York headquarters on 7 August 1782. The actual order includes the phrase, "Let it be known that he who wears the military order of the purple heart has given of his blood in the defense of his homeland and shall forever be revered by his fellow countrymen.

MacArthur secretly had the medal redesigned and after was awarded the first Purple Heart.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think we should get the Agent Orange Badge. It would be a barrel with a red line running through it. A lot more guys are going to die for AO than were KIA. The guys who were KIA died violently and quickly. AO victims die slowly and miserably. They get no recognition. A cook who had a rocket drop on him gets the PH while a guy who suffers for 40 years from AO exposure gets nothing but a hard time. If I had not gone to Vietnam at my nation's request I would not have been exposed to AO. Now in Iraq non-combat MOS soldiers who get shot at get the combat action badge. Vietnam vets who were not in the infantry or got a PH have to prove they their base was atttacked or that they were sniped at or bombed. The paperwork gets lost and so does the veteran. Every base in Vietnam came under rocket or mortar attack but we have to prove it. The CIB was invented in WWII.

This subject has been around & around forever. I have PTSD & have had Cancer from Agent Orange. I don't deserve, want, need, care, about a Purple Heart. It would cheapen the PH for those injured in our nations wars. If I get medical care & a check that's all I want or deserve. Surely I can't be the only that feels that way.

Don

I agree with you 100 percent. Additionally, I don't think another medal/ribbon is warranted either.

BTW, I would likely be eligible for the additional ribbon/medal if it became an official award and/or ribbon--I don't deserve it nor want it just as you have stated.

Regards,

Ron