VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Military Pension, Disability Compensation & Social Security

Rate this question

Gedgar

Question

I am a retired veteran with 27 years of service and receiving a military pension. I am also receiving VA Disability compensation at the rate of 80% for service connected disability. I have been trying to find information online that tells me if I am able to draw my social security benefits in conjunction with my pension and VA Disability compensation. Can somebody point me in the right direction. I know once you submit a claim and it is disapproved, it takes forever to get a reverse decision on the claim.

Thanks,

GEdgar

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Guest terrysturgis

If I were you I would go down to the local Social Security office and fill out the paperwork ASAP. You will need credits to collect SSD, they will explain the process to you.

I filed on October of 2006 and I am coming up on my two years of waiting anniversary. Yes it is a long process but the I will get retro till the day I was not able to work.

Also under SS rules you can not work and if you do have income you can not make over $13,000 (poverty guide lines) per year.

Welcome aboard. Take care and Thanks for your service. Terry Sturgis

• HadIt.com Elder

SSD will pay regardless of other income. SSI will means test and limit its payment dollar for dollar of other income.

You should file right away in my opinion.

Gedgar,

Yes you can. . .Do it

You can do it youself go to the VA get all your Med info, go to the SSA web look it up get your info then call or go down to the office

and do the interview.

Or get a Lawer, or one of they do it all type thats what I did

but you payed for it so do it

Sgt Mac