VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bill Would Extend Fed Mileage Rate To Veterans

Rate this question

allan

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

tell your congressman we want this bill to pass

Bill Would Extend Fed Mileage Rate to Veterans

Lawmakers introduced on June 16 a bipartisan House bill that would—if it becomes law—extend the federal employee mileage reimbursement to veterans seeking health care at Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) medical facilities. The Veterans Travel Equity Act would increase the veterans mileage reimbursement rate to the federal rate—currently 50.5 cents per mile, said bill sponsors Reps. Mark Souder, R-Ind., and Brad Ellsworth, D-Ind. The bill also expands the pool of veterans eligible for mileage reimbursement, removing income and pension eligibility as well as disability rating requirements. Under current law, only veterans with service-connected disabilities rated 30 percent or more qualify. “This bill is a matter of fairness,” Souder said. “Federal bureaucrats shouldn’t receive a greater mileage reimbursement rate than the men and women in uniform who have served our nation so bravely.” Veterans have complained about the mileage rate in light of skyrocketing gas prices and the long distances they have to travel, especially in the Western states, to receive VA care. To see more, go to:

http://souder.house.gov/index.cfm?FuseAction=NewsCenter.Press

Releases&ContentRecord_id=935247d2-19b9-b4b1-120f-

4885726cfdbd&Region_id=&Issue_id://http://souder.house.gov/index.cfm?F...d=&Issue_id://http://souder.house.gov/index.cfm?F...d=&Issue_id

Souder, Ellsworth Introduce Veterans Travel Equity Act

Bill Would Give Vets Same Mileage Reimbursement as Fed. Workers

June 16, 2008

U.S. Reps. Mark Souder (R-IN) and Brad Ellsworth (D-IN) announced today that they are introducing the Veterans Travel Equity Act (H.R. 6287), bipartisan legislation that would give veterans the same mileage reimbursement rate as federal employees.

“This bill is a matter of fairness,” Souder said. “Federal bureaucrats shouldn’t receive a greater mileage reimbursement rate than the men and women in uniform who have served our nation so bravely. Especially at a time of record-high gas prices, our veterans deserve more from us. I’m delighted to work with my Hoosier colleague, Brad Ellsworth, on this important issue.”

“With gas prices setting new records again and again this year, Hoosier veterans—who often live on fixed incomes and have to travel great distances for health care—are being hit particularly hard,” Ellsworth said. “After bravely serving our country, their mileage rate shouldn’t be any less than federal employees. We owe them better. This bill is a common sense and fair way to give them some relief, and I am glad to work with Congressman Souder to introduce it.”

The Veterans Travel Equity Act would increase the mileage reimbursement for veterans seeking healthcare at Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) medical facilities, so that it is the same as the mileage reimbursement rate available to federal employees—currently 50.5 cents per mile.

H.R. 6287 also eliminates the income and pension eligibility requirements and service-connected disability rating requirements. Under current law, only veterans with service-connected disabilities rated 30 percent or more qualify for or receive the reimbursement.

__._,_.___ "Keep on, Keepin' on"

Dan Cedusky, Champaign IL "Colonel Dan"

See my web site at:

http://www.angelfire.com/il2/VeteranIssues/

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Boy that would be great.

I have a question though. I go to an outpatient clinic that is probably just a couple of miles west of the main VA hospital and I never receive travel pay. Do they pay travel for those outpatient clinic visits? There is no travel clerk there but you would think it would count.

Susie

Dave just got his first travel pay today after becoming service connected.

He got a whopping $2.80 for a 75 mile roundtrip.

That pays for 1/2 gallon of gas. What a generous benefit.

Sandy

tell your congressman we want this bill to pass

Bill Would Extend Fed Mileage Rate to Veterans

You're darn right I would.

Sincerely,

Bill

P.S. All kidding aside, I have written and mailed letters to my Congresscritters about this.

• HadIt.com Elder

Susie,

if the outpatient clinic appointment was set up by your VA care provider and you live over 50 miles away, stop by the VAMC and pick up your travel pay. It's always good to carry your appointment letter with you. Some VAMC's may have you wait while they mail you a check. But most will have a travel pay office at the facility.

Thanks Allan. I'm gonna ask for the last visit when I go in and see what happens. B)

Susie

Edited by hayley3