VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tips For Veterans Filing For Social Security Disability

Rate this question

allan

Question

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Not so much tips but rant about Social Security. My experience with Social Security was good. It took 4 months two exams and I got it. The VA on the other hand was draconian it took over 5 years, 3 hearings, 3 C&P's, BVA Remand that I requested, Texas Senator and Congressman and an email to President Clinton. Also I had 2 IMO's that I paid for to help. No lawyers for either one.

I found that after I got Social Security for something that started in Army I was not going to quit and trust me a lot of people told me over and over I would not win.

So my advice is not to give up.

• HadIt.com Elder

So my advice is not to give up?

That's good advice Pete.

I had a bit more difficulty getting Social Security, due to the diagnoses of "neumuscular disorder of unknown cause". I tried on my own, but soon realized I didn't have it together enough to process it. I won not long after an attorney took over the claim. It takes around a year or two after filing and it's common to be denied the first time around.

I had VA Pension before I won SSI benefits. I found out some 10 years later the DVA and SSA worked it out so I would recieve VA pension and SSI.

I disapointed SSA when I reopened on a CUE & won my SSDI award and 10 years of retro. Been going after SC, that the RO thought they had worked out in a nice little neat package with SSA.

Don't give up and don't settle for their behind the back deals.