VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vso

Rate this question

maxwell18

Question

Just wondering what to expect from County Veteran Service Officers? I am already 100% P&T but have other issues like retro pay and being rated 100% with effective dates back dated. I did not get the feelings that they really wanted to help and didn't call me back when they said they would. I called them back and the reply was I forgot and didn't make any notes? They called a few minutes later they checked my filed and would call back. I did receive a call the next stating that it would about 12 to 15 days to get me entered in the system (VFW). I called direct to VFW and they are working the file the same day. Outstanding for thier support. By the way, this is the first time I ever used VSO, I did my whole claim to 100% by myself. Thanks for any information or ideas...

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

I have found that its hit and miss with VSO, but don't give up. I have found also from just reading here just about everthing is hit and miss some get there retro and some do. Your fight is not over I see folks here all the time fighting to get there rating and then start the fight to get there retro, I think most of the time the VA is expecting us to just be happy with what we get and most just go away, They don't care how you pick up the pieces, but get whats yours thats my advice and there is many here to get you in the right dirrection. I got screwed on retro on my dependants last5 month and have a claim in review "DRO" and if i put in a claim for my reto my claim in can go on 6 months to a year longer all though my claim is air tight. But don't wait to long to file I'm sure there is a dead line for this as well.

• HadIt.com Elder

Its an opinion but my experience with County VSO's is they are not as up to date as most of the Organization and State SO's.

Mostly they are political appointee's but sometimes you can be surprised.

Perhaps you should interview him like you were going to hire him to represent you on some very important matters.

Expect NOTHING from your VSO and that way you won't be disappointed.

Most VSO's are overwhelmed and undereducated, so you might want to bone-up on the regs yourself and keep a close eye on your claim.

"Just wondering what to expect from County Veteran Service Officers"

You mentioned having the VFW- they arent county reps-I assume the county reps referred you to VFW?

The full status of how all vet orgs are doing at the BVA level- is posted within the annual BVA report from Chairman Terry.

I forget who came in first (most claims awarded)in the latest report.

What is interesting to me is that unrepresented vets and widows at the BVA have a better chance of getting awards at the BVA level then those vets and widows represented by state or county vet reps.

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

The VSO's can hurt you as well as help you. If you got 100% by yourself why do you need those guys. If you have a complicated issue file it yourself and if you are denied get a lawyer after you file your NOD. If there is retro involved then the lawyer should be happy to do it since he will get some of it. He has some incentive while the VSO has none. The VFW did a horrible job on a request for an increase I made years ago. They said although I had a medical mental disorder my real problem was a personality disorder. That was just what the VA wanted to hear. I found this in my C-File. It was ancient history, but shows the knowledge of these clowns. No wonder my increases were denied over the years.