VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Al Amyloidosis

Rate this question

Berta

Question

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Denying hypertension as being presumptive for AO is based on the prevalence of the disease among Vietnam vets, and the money involved. It probably has little to do with the evidence. The VA knew it made a mistake when it made DMII presumptive. They won't do that again any time soon, since it opens the door to a flood of SC claims. Maybe when we get rid of Peake something will happen. He needs to go and go quickly. Hypertension is a common secondary condition for DMII so every Vietnam vet should keep a close eye on his glucose levels. Be sure and claim the DMII first, otherwise the VA will say all other secondary conditions were present before the DMII and not related to it.

I sure agree with you John.

I found 302 Amyloidosis claims at the BVA (all years) Then I found that 231 of these claims raised the Agent Orange issue.

Then I eliminated "denied" from the search and only 6 Amyloidosis claims popped up.

I sure hope those vet reps get on the ball when these new AO regs get published-seems to me many of these claims that were denied would have to be opened under the new regs.And would have to have a good retro date.

How many claims I wonder- were AO claims of disabilities not on the presumptive list yet and the vet never knew that their disability went onto the presumptive list years later?

The way I see it HBP due to AO would cost them millions- but they have saved millions anyhow because many AO vets claims the vet never re-opened - are now presumptive claims.

Same with all the widows claims -due to death from AO disability but denied before the disability went on the list.

The VBM has examples of that- say the vet had lung cancer in his lifetime- and was in Vietnam-VA denies the vets and then the widows claim because it was filed before this type of lung cancer was AO presumptive-

the widow herself has to find out his disease is now presumptive and re-open the claim. If she filed winin one year of his death, her DIC EED should be date of his death.

VA has screwed up plenty of AO claims.I bet they still owe millions to AO vets.

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta

That is a scandal that a vet or widow would have to find out for themselves that their previously denied AO claim is now presumptive. I think it is much harder for the spouse to collect the DIC because once denied they probably just give up thinking Uncle Same would never just screw them to the wall. Vets know better since they have been screwed for years, and know Uncle Sam is a deadbeat. It should be a law that the VA has to inform previously denied AO victims that there case is now presumptive. The VSO's should be all over this. Where are they in regards to such a scandal? One vet doing this is a major job unless it is in the form of a class action suit, and I don't even know if we can do that against the VA. DIC is such small money you would think they would not try and BS spouses out of it with such gusto.