VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Is Changing My Diagnosis !

Rate this question

bm6546

Question

I have been diagnosed by the VA for over 40 years with a heart condition called PAT-Paroxysmal Atrial Tachycardia. I was discharged with this PAT and am SC for this heart condition. When I saw my VA Psychologist last week he informed me that he was told that he could no longer check the box that "this visit is related to Service Connected Condition" as SC for my Supraventricular Arrhythmias. That means that I have to start paying for the office visits to see him.

I told him that I have never heard of this Supraventicular Arrhythmias and that I was diagnosed with Paroxysmal Atrial Tachycardia. He said that he can only go with what was in my records. He also gave me a GAF of 60.

After my heart attack 2 1/2 years ago I have claimed my heart condition, depression, anxiety disorder and ED. Has anybody been diagnosed with this Supraventricular Arrhythmias and can help me understand what is going on with the change of condition. And what can I do about this? How does this help or hurt my claims?

Thanks in advance for any help....Brian

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Have you talked to your VA doctor to ask why your diangosis was changed. It must be to benefit the VA somehow so I would follow up on this. Was this the result of a C&P exam? They may have just made a mistake in your records.

• HadIt.com Elder

Why are you zero percent after a heart attack.

Did you have stents or a Bypass?

The way I read it is that your procedure you had after the heart attack improved your condition.

After 40 years, they cannot take the rating away from you even at zero percent. 20 year rule may come into play.

J

I am not a doctor but have studied cardiology-

Paroxysmal Atrial Tachycardia usually involves rapid heart beat in upper left heart chamber-

Supraventricular Arrhythmias are arrythmias that begin above the heart ventricles-

Paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia (PSVT)

can also be a result of these conditions-

What I see here is that this doctor is assuming that you would have to be SCed for the diagnosis he gave you- without regard to the diagnosis you already have-

it is more than likely medically that these conditions are related.

I am not a doctor- so whatever I say wont help you-

Why is a psychologist involved in a heart disease diagnosis anyhow?

Why does your profile say 0% SC?

What is your SC specifically for and at what rating?

"After my heart attack 2 1/2 years ago I have claimed my heart condition, depression, anxiety disorder and ED" was that your first SC claim?

"I was discharged with this PAT and am SC for this heart condition."

Are you SC but at 0 % for it?

• HadIt.com Elder

I am with everyone else in regards to your SC'd percentage after a heart attack, but in regards to a change in diagnosis where a rating is concerned, here is the reg you need:

38 CFR 4.13:

The repercussion upon a current rating of service connection when change is made of a previously assigned diagnosis or etiology must be kept in mind. The aim should be the reconciliation and continuance of the diagnosis or etiology upon which service connection for the disability had been granted. The relevant principle enunciated in §4.125, entitled “Diagnosis of mental disorders,” should have careful attention in this connection. When any change in evaluation is to be made, the rating agency should assure itself that there has been an actual change in the conditions, for better or worse, and not merely a difference in thoroughness of the examination or in use of descriptive terms. This will not, of course, preclude the correction of erroneous ratings, nor will it preclude assignment of a rating in conformity with §4.7.

[29 FR 6718, May 22, 1964, as amended at 61 FR 52700, Oct. 8, 1996]

Have you talked to your VA doctor to ask why your diangosis was changed. It must be to benefit the VA somehow so I would follow up on this. Was this the result of a C&P exam? They may have just made a mistake in your records.

I have an appt next week with my VA doc and will certainly discuss this with him. All the VA medical records say my diagnosis is PAT. Apparently the Mental Health records have the diagnosis of Supraventiricular Arrhythmias. I have no idea how the different diagnosis shows on my records. This will probably give the VA reason to continually deny my claims because they will say my records are all screwed up.

Why are you zero percent after a heart attack.

Did you have stents or a Bypass?

The way I read it is that your procedure you had after the heart attack improved your condition.

After 40 years, they cannot take the rating away from you even at zero percent. 20 year rule may come into play.

J

I have been at 0% for over 40 years. I had my heart attack 2 1/2 years ago and have filed several claims with the VA in the past 2 years. The VA has denied one of my heart condition claims over a year ago and I filed a NOD. That claim is before the DRO.

I had 2 stents put in and have developed depression, anxiety, PTSD and ED since my heart attack. I have been under the care of the VA Psychiatrist and psychologist for almost 2 years with some progress.

I don't know anything about the VA taking away my 0% rating. I also don't know anything about the 20 year rule. Not sure what to do at this point. My VSO is on vacation and won't be back until the middle of July. I guess I will have to wait until she returns or if someone on this forum can tell me what to do.

Thanks for your help...Brian