VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Spouse's Statement

Rate this question

SouthernBelle

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Okay, I'm new here, and I have perused this site for hours trying to find an example of a "Spouse's Statement" I am preparing to write a statement to add to my husband's request for increase in disability rating (PTSD w/ Anxiety, currently clinically depressed) and for the life of me, I cannot decide how I should approach this. I'm a freelance journalist, and I am so accustomed to writing with from an unbiased stance that I cannot make my brain do this without some kind of prompt. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have considered simply listing his symptoms and how they affect him, me and our child, but I'm just not sure. Thanks!

SouthernBelle

Okay, I'm new here, and I have perused this site for hours trying to find an example of a "Spouse's Statement" I am preparing to write a statement to add to my husband's request for increase in disability rating (PTSD w/ Anxiety, currently clinically depressed) and for the life of me, I cannot decide how I should approach this. I'm a freelance journalist, and I am so accustomed to writing with from an unbiased stance that I cannot make my brain do this without some kind of prompt. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have considered simply listing his symptoms and how they affect him, me and our child, but I'm just not sure. Thanks!

SouthernBelle

I think I maybe the one Jbasser was referring to, I went to the VARO office and was told any thing handwritten statements has more weight that a typed copy, he said it makes it more personal, but you have a lot of good advice here. I agree about not letting your husband see the letter. I don't think I'd been ever ready to see what my wife wrote about me, I found it in a copy of it in a copy of my c-file and it killed me to know what I was putting her through and not knowing it hurts most of all and wish I'd never read it.........

• HadIt.com Elder

It would be more proactive in the eyes of the VA for it to be hand written and straight to the point.

Some folks at the VA will not read letters or info professionally typed. I know a member here whose CO letter was not even considered because of that exact same thing. It was redone by hand and now it is being looked at.

They will treat it as a lay statement. It will go into the file. If you were a medical professional, ie Nurse, Rad Tech, or a MD, It would help.

Good luck on your husbands claim.

J

• HadIt.com Elder

Belle:

Welcome to Hadit and thank you for supporting your spouse. Your letter in my opinion should also point out what he was like before he became ill and what your life is like now. Try to keep it to the point and have it notarized and attest to it as being truthful the VA likes that.

Good Luck with the claim and if he is not working be sure and apply for Social Security.

I wrote a lay statement many years ago in support of my husband's PTSD claim. He was 30% at the time.I think the DAV suggested that I do that.It wasnt easy to do.

First I attached copy of my VA Vet Center ID card and explained to the VA that I had been voted into a PTSD combat group at the Vet Center where I was a volunteer there.(it helps if you have any background that supports your ability to opine as a spouse. I also was a Psychology major in college and told the VA that.)

I said I felt that my established experience with PTSD veterans should give my statements some weight.

I pointed out some specific symptoms that Rod had that I witnessed.

I also supported his PTSD problems at his job with testimony from VA employees that had been given to the EEOC (he had filed an EEOC case against VA as employer)and attached the copies of the testimony-I also had gotten under the FOIA some very sensitive stuff under a case he had filed against a former employer (Rod was the first disabled person in NYS to file an ADA case and then to win it).

The former employer had a statement given to the USDOL that was awful.

Rod was always quick to say he was both an angel and a devil and could go into a rage- but the rage this statement described-

it seemed fabricated and Rod did not remember it al all-in any event they (USDOL)had this signed statement from another employee.

The employer of course was trying to get out of the ADA case.I attached the statement as further support that Rods PTSD was affecting him on the job.

The police were here twice or three times documented- due to Rods PTSD and also he had two hospitalizations for PTSD.

I had to confiscate and hide his weapons at a neighbors house for 2 years and the neighbor said he would give VA a signed statement if they needed that.

I had also given a similiar statement to the SSA.

Between you and me I dont really think the VA gave my statements any attention at all-but maybe the SSA did.

I didnt know it at the time but they had testimony from his ex wife in their files.(SSA) from the medical and psychiatric records from another VA.This same VAMC in NJ that told me they had no records at all on Rod.

I saw the stack at the SSA office. I was shocked at what was in it.It all supported my statements.

But Medical evidence is what really awards a higher PTSD rating.

A spouses statement doesnt hurt and might help.If it can help document facts.

My husband had extensive psychiatric documentation from VA doctors regarding his PTSD.It was catatrophic.

I hope I gave you an idea what they are looking for-and the VA might not even consider your statement.

My husband at 30%-was awarded 100 % SC PTSD P & T from both SSA and the VA.Three years after he died.

I believe your statements (as you have been advised to present them below) are very critical. In all 4 of my claims, the VA (Idaho) cited my wife's letter AND letters from friends in their written decision. Good luck.

I wrote a statement on behalf of my husband regarding our life together (we have been together 27 years) and the VA quoted the statement a number of times in their decision.

I would encourage you to write the statement, but DON'T hold back. Put into it everything that you remember during your marriage that has happened, and how it affected you.

I was lucky, because my husband was at the point in his therapy that he was, because I gave him my statement to read, and he finally understood how the PTSD had affected our married life and our children's life. If your husband is not at that point, DO NOT let him read your statement, as it could do more harm then good.

The VA takes into account the spouse's view, and as long as you are honest in your feelings and what has happened, it makes a BIG difference.