VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Pd/personality Disorders

Rate this question

Rockhound

Question

I'm not at all sure that the PD I was given in 1974 conformed to DSM I/II or any other diagnostic manual of that time. I have been unable to determine what was used to define the type of PD I was given.

My PD read thusly: "Personality Disorder, Inadequate type, associated with inadequate educational experience."

As far as I can dissern today, it does not conform to the DSM IV. Does this fact give me any grounds to reopen a claim since my current psychiatrist has stated in my medical records in the progress notes, that she can not see, by her own observations, medical records, and from results of a MMPI-II test, that I do not have any know personality disorder that she knows of.

It is said that, Personality disorders are long-term patterns of thoughts and behaviors and as far as I can find out, their is no cure, although psychotheripy and medication can supposedly lesson the symptoms.

I their is no cure and I'm told I don't have one now, Then how could I have had a PD in the first place?

Rockhound B)

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

You can't develope a PD in the service either. You are either born with it, or develope it starting in childhood according to the medical authorities. It is a life long pattern of behavior that is deeply rooted in the personality. Most people in prison have PD's and they don't get over it. If you don't have it now you did not have it then.

• HadIt.com Elder

As far as I can dissern today, it does not conform to the DSM IV. Does this fact give me any grounds to reopen a claim since my current psychiatrist has stated in my medical records in the progress notes, that she can not see, by her own observations, medical records, and from results of a MMPI-II test, that I do not have any know personality disorder that she knows of.

Rock,

Yes, I would say that you can use this doctors opinion to re-open your claim of 1974 for a Personality Disorder.

They used the good old 1952 edition on you as they did me and believe me there is no comparison to the first edition and the one to date.

I have done quite a bit of research on these editions and you will find some of my post under search.

Betty

Edited by Josephine

Since my Psychiatrist says in her opinion that I don't have a personality disorder listed in the DSM IV, will it matter that she didn't say I had an PD, inadequate type, associated to inadequate educational experience?

Must she state that I do not have this type of PD, for her to say I don't have a PD? She only said that I don't have any they list in the DSM IV?

Rockhound Rider :unsure:

• HadIt.com Elder

If she says you don't have a PD, and do have a medical mental disorder then you should be able to reopen the claim. Will she draw a conclusion that the disorder you have now is the same one you had in service?