VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Pd/personality Disorder, Axis Ii

Rate this question

Rockhound

Question

If you have diagnosis of a mental disorder, then that would be an Axis I, If you were also diagnosed with a PD, wouldn't that be a AXIS II ?

Axis ! Mental disorder

Axis II PD

Axis III Other diagnosed problems

AxisIV Limited Mobility, unemployable

Axis V GAF

Here is how my current AXIS reads:

AXIS I Disthymia with MDE (major Depression episodes) and anxiety

AXIS II Defferred

AXIS III Hypothyroidism

Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Mild

Sleep/Nocturnal hypoxia/with O2 during sleep

Mild-moderate periodic limb movement disorder

Hypertention

Dylipidemia

Restrictive lung disease

DM II

Sarcoidosis/Autoimmune disease

Adjustment disorder with anxiety

Osteoarthritis of knees

Chronic sinisitis

AXIS IV Limited mobility, unemployable

AXIS V 50

Since I have been treated for the AXIS I and AXIS III problems, AXIS II has always been listed as deferred, at no time has their been a PD noted or opinioned or diagnosed. Thats been about four years

Question: Since diagnosis are supposed to conform to the DSM III/IV and my PD diagnosed 30 plus years ago does not seem to conform thusly. Is this a case where a more liberal interpretation of PDs that is more favorable to a veterans claim be a reason to reopen the claim if it has been noted in current medical records that I don't have a PD that conforms to DSM III/IV ?

I hope this makes since.

Rockhound Rider B)

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I think that the PD diagnosis would be moot unless you got it while you were in Military and than with the rating you have if connected to service should be no problem getting it rated for you.

By the way I am using PD for Personality Disorder and not Panic Disorder something I suffer from.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have a depressive disorder as Axis One where does the VA believe that disorder came from besides military service? Axis two is for PD's and constitutional disorders like mental retardation.

If you have a depressive disorder as Axis One where does the VA believe that disorder came from besides military service? Axis two is for PD's and constitutional disorders like mental retardation.

John999: That is the question I am trying to answer. I had depression in-service when I had my acute schizophrenic episode and I had a minor TBI, I had two diagnosis since then besides the VA saying I had, Disthymia with MDE (major Depression episodes) and anxiety, I was treated for depression at a county mental health clinic, a pschologist,Phd. listed his diagnosis as adjustment disorder witn mood, anxiety, and depressed mood, and the VA NSC me with Adjustment disorder with depression and anxiety. They all seem very much alike to me.

The VA said that my acute schizophrenic episode did not stem from a mental disorder, but said to actually stem from a PD, which in essince, says the acute schizophrenic episode was erroneous and the PD was the correct alternate diagnosis. So if this is so, then the depression and anxiety associated to the acute schizophrenic episode can not be either without disproving the error. So that leaves the minor TBI as the possible cause. But here again they say their was no lasting effects from the head injury noted since last examined. Yet I had problems with social and industrial adaptability, depression and anxiety over the years, but only severe enough to have had to seek out medical assistance four times, if you count the time in-service. The last time so bad I could no longer work or hold any job where I could earn a living at. But the VA with their NSC were the only ones to document this, SSDI apparently made their decision on my physical disabilities. I'm about due in the next year for a re-evaluation from SSDI, so maybe then I can get my NSC disabilities recognized from them. However I do believe they have already done so, but believe that the information is to sensitive for them to allow me to see it. Hey guys, the VA already told me.

I believe they do not want me back in the work force,, due largely in part that I am a walking time bome, given my history of and what happened in-service to be diagnosed with an acute schizophrenic episode, in remission, demonstrating moderate impairment to future social and industrial adaptability, associated with depression and anziety.

I had it then, I have it now, I just have to prove that the PD was the erroneous diagnosis and the in-service diagnosis was the correct one or that the two are either seperate entieties or the PD is supperimposed on a mental disorder.

Rockhound Rider :unsure:

p.s. not sticking my tongue at you people, I'm sticking my tongue at the VA

• HadIt.com Elder

An acute schizophrenic episode cannot stem from a personality disorder. Now it is true that if you had a schizoid personality that you could break down into a schizophrenic episode, but then you have schizophrenia. That VA doctor's logic is crazy. If he said he detected no psychosis, but only a personality disorder that is one thing. But if he says the progression is from PD to psychosis he needs his head examined worse than we do. PD's usually don't become psychotic because they have strong defence mechanisms such as rationalization and projection. In other words their problems are not their fault and they feel no quilt, or anxiety except when sitting in jail maybe. What the shrink did to you was to make a financial decision to limit VA liability. He was trying to make points, so he could keep doing C&P exams and making cash. He knew what the VA wanted and he gave it to them.

• HadIt.com Elder

Rock,

I hope I am right on this. I have heard that the VA did not SC adjustment disorder until the late 1990's and they now SC this condition. If this is the case definately re-open the claim. Wings is the person who would know this. She is taking a break right now. If you see her posting ask her about adjustment disorders. Or, get an SO working on this.

John 999, you wrote: "An acute schizophrenic episode cannot stem from a personality disorder." I agree with you and it was not the examiner who stated that. It was the rater who wrote that in the reason and basis for their decision implying a change in the diagnosis was made, but were in fact it appears that a PD was being diagnosed and that he could not fully support a claim for schizophrenia at that time.

The adjusment disorder I now have, I believe stems from the Acute schizophrenic episode, as well as the depression and anxiety. I worry everyday that something as bad or worse could happen to those around me, should I wig out agian. That I imagine is why I do no like getting close to other people or let them get close to me. It's just a viscious cycle that goes on everyday of my life.

Rockhound Rider :unsure: