VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Do They Really Help ?

Rate this question

sehinchee

Question

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Do Congressman and Senators have the pull necessary to make a difference in a VA claim?

Well I guess it may depend on the senator or congressman/woman.

I have written some it the past with very mixed results..

Legally they cannot make a request for special consideration they can only make the case to the va that you make to them. And legally they cannot get your case bumped to the head of the line.....

Usually you get the same answer back that you would have received if you just asked the question of the va yourself

In my opinion I find congressional inquires to be a waste of time and effort...

Why well because for example I still have a case in the system that in submited in 2004 that has gone throught two de novo reviews--- and should have been sent to the BVA two years ago that is still sitting in Houston, for another de novo review... and I can't figure it out... and no darn congressman could ever figure it out either....

sehinchee, if you plan to write you Congressman, Do it where you want them to turn in information to be turned in for you and this information that is per-net to your claim, such as in my case where I had a problem with my claim "this is what the VA requirements are and I met or exceeded these expectation and was denied? and was still denied under current criteria. I filed for XX and they sent me for a XX examination that was totally different then what I totally filed for" or what ever your problems are. You not only plead your case and provide proof and politely request your concern be checked into on your behalf and what you feel you injustices are and respectfully he check in to your concerns...

Do Congressman and Senators have the pull necessary to make a difference in a VA claim?
I have heard it both ways. That a Politician helps U & also that they slow down your claim.

Remember, it's a Politician U are appealing to & he is part of the Government. So, it's a coin toss in my opinion.

Get a Lawyer as soon as U qualify & U will see some results, usually.

It all depends on how well the Lawyer knows VA Law.

BUT, what ever happens NEVER give up your claim as that is the only way U lose.

Took me 9 years total to get 100% T & P

GARY

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA is forced to respond to members of the House and Senate.

Any congressional or senate inquiry gets answered. Ususlly it is a Good old boy message like this.

We awarded Mr whats his name Service connection. ( It may have been 50 years ago but they did.)

We are in process of Blah Blah Bah.

So they are answered. However weak they are, Unless you have a pit bull like BC and he wont take no for an answer.

J

I guess this can fall on either side of the fence. As a widow seeking DIC after it was denied twice, I sought the help of my Congressman, my Senator and wrote then President Bill Clinton.

I can tell you after recently receiving my late husband's C file, that everyone of them followed through at least once and wrote on my behalf..... to no avail. They were "answered" allright. Then the case was referred back to VARO and again, they denied it.

I would say the voracity and tenacity of your legislator is of the utmost importance if you are to truly benefit from their help.

Judy B (Tx widow) still seeking DIC after 18 years

Don't forget John's book on "PTSD" also, and am glad you took my suggestion on Roche's book. It has helped me greatly. Additionally to be republished in Mar 2009 his book "Claim Denied" as it got sold out way to fast. I had it ordered in Jan on Amazon, and it was gone before thy got a chance to get me my copy.

Back to the topic I had used Congressman Hungate in 1974 and he had my educ benefits rolling in a month.(After I tried for 3 mths prior) Don't have representative with the same gusto now so have been trying to wing it by myself.

Back

sehinchee,

I agree with both Pete and Josephine in their assessment.

Additionally, I went out and bought John D. Roche "The Veteran's Survival Guide" (2nd Edition, Revised and Updated, 2007) because I read on one of the HADIT forums here about his book with great info to help Vets with their claims, along with HADIT ;) . Very interesting read to say the least from a Vet who worked at the VA as a ratings official for many years.

Anyway, I've already read half the book yesterday; and one thing he mentioned under describing the "Rating Team" responsibility is Rule #2, which in part says, when requesting a copy of your files from the VA or sending them evidence, "submit it through your local congressional representative's office or your senator. Your request gets special handling considerations thus reducing the waiting time to obtain the records".

From his perspective, it appears to help if for nothing else to ensure the VA stay on their p's & q's and not lose your paperwork since the people who authorizes their funding (congress) has an interest. :blink: