VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How To Search For Medical Records?

Rate this question

professor

Question

Greetings all.

I have been through an appeals process and the BVA has finally denied a long lasting claim. The issue is one of missing medical records concerning in country (Vietnam) medical treatment. When I attempted to locate my personal, in service medical records, they were not to be found by the archival center in KC. This left me with only the possibility of obtaining actual hospital records from one of two hospitals where I could have been treated in country as there were only two field hospitals located in the area (Can Ranh Bay). Is it even possible to find such data? Where to begin? Any input would be most appreciated.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Do you mean NARA and you requested them on a SF 180?

Did you ask for all personnel as well as medical records?

I see you have 30%- seems to me the VA might have gotten those records from NARA themselves to award the 30% -but hard to tell-

what was your unit in the Nam? They might have a web site and perhaps you could get a buddy statement-

have you tried to find your CO or anyone who could verify this inservice medical treatment?

Was it on your discharge certificate?

Did the inservice injury cause a change in your duty station or MOS? This would be in your mil personnel file-

Did you ever apply to SSA for disability? If so the SSA might have those SMRs.

Thank you for your reply. Yes it was SF 180 at the St. Louis repository, took a year for them to tell me that they didn't have my medical records, I didn't request personnel though. My thinking is that the only verification would be from hospital records if they are accessible. I was assigned independently in country and treated for skin condition at Cam Ranh Bay. This persists to this day and has been verified by VA medical examinations through the years, treatment has been attempted as well but was not successful. The BVA has now continued the contention that it is not service related and supports previous denials even though the causative organism has been identified and is endemic to that particular area of the world. The only thing that will seem to satisfy their requirement is actual data from the treatment location but that is difficult to locate.

"The BVA has now continued the contention that it is not service related and supports previous denials even though the causative organism has been identified and is endemic to that particular area of the world."

That alone -if this is a rare condition- should have been given more weight by the BVA.

Did you have anything to back up that statement?-endemic to this part of world?

Have you tried to find a buddy statement to prove you had this condition? have you attempted to find your CO?

I saw a widow's claim awarded for a very rare type of cancer that only a small amount of villagers had in Korea.

The widow found a treatise that supported in a limited time frame multiple villagers got this type of rare cancer.

Her husband had been stationed near this area. The BVA awarded the DIC claim.

Have you pursued the claim at the CAVC after the last BVA denial?

Due to the heat and humidity it is common there but some people in other areas do get it, in this country the target group is obese, diabetic older women who live in high heat and humidity locations. It is a form of diptheria.

I only saw my CO twice in 16 months and after the last time his jeep ran over a mine and he was KIA.

The BVA denial just came two weeks ago and I am planning my next steps. I've never been this far in the claims process, looks like it may be time to bring in outside help as I'm no longer capable of going it alone.