VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Called Va Said We Have Gone To Rating Board

Rate this question

docndiane

Question

Hi everyone,

Quick synopsis - My husband had a massive stroke last year as a result of high blood pressure ruptuing a vessel in the brain - lost complete use of left side of body. Still has no use. Needs constant care from both me and my dad (moved in with us so I could work - thank God), applied for Social security disability - received award letter less than 3 months after applying last year - then decided that since husband was diagnosed for first time ever and treated for high blood pressure while in Japan as a Naval gunfire officer, we would try for comp claim with VA. That was last October that we applied. Had hubby call VA for update and they said that his claim just went to rating board July 1 and that we should hear something in 60 days or less. Is this good? I sent all medical records I had on me and they say they are processing his "application for service-connected compensation for stroke secondary to hypertension" as well as claim for special monthly compensation. Do we have a shot? Does it mean that he can still be denied? We have tried not to call and I have just figured that we would get denied and that would be that, but I feel good that it made it to the rating board? Would it have been denied by now? Does giving them the social security disability info. help? All of the things that occurred with Social security, applying and getting awarded all happened less than a year ago, I guess I figured they would utilize whatever ss had already done, which would mean less leg work for VA, but being new to this - I don't know.

Thanks for all advice :P

Diane

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Was your husband already service connected for HBP? Do you have doctor's reports that say the stroke was a result of HBP? You need to show a nexus if it is a secondary condition. That means you need a medical report saying that the HBP was at least as likely as not the cause of the stroke. Did he get a pension exam from the VA and what did it say? Going to the rating board means the development of the claim is done, but you may still have a wait for a decision.

No, my husband has not been service connected for anything. The initial report by the neurologist who treated my husband said that it was due to high blood pressure, and this was a definite because the second day after his stroke, they asked me to authorize a test that would determine whether or not he had a defect in his arteries which could have caused this and if there was no sign of a defect then it was his high blood pressure which he has been treated for since he was in the military. There had been times at his primary care physicians, (whom he has been seeing the same one since he left the military - thank God), office where his blood pressure was so high, they would not allow him to leave and would give him meds then and there and we could only leave once it was in somewhat normal range. I thank you for your help :P

Was your husband already service connected for HBP? Do you have doctor's reports that say the stroke was a result of HBP? You need to show a nexus if it is a secondary condition. That means you need a medical report saying that the HBP was at least as likely as not the cause of the stroke. Did he get a pension exam from the VA and what did it say? Going to the rating board means the development of the claim is done, but you may still have a wait for a decision.

also, he is not getting a pension of any kind from anyone.

Diane

No, my husband has not been service connected for anything. The initial report by the neurologist who treated my husband said that it was due to high blood pressure, and this was a definite because the second day after his stroke, they asked me to authorize a test that would determine whether or not he had a defect in his arteries which could have caused this and if there was no sign of a defect then it was his high blood pressure which he has been treated for since he was in the military. There had been times at his primary care physicians, (whom he has been seeing the same one since he left the military - thank God), office where his blood pressure was so high, they would not allow him to leave and would give him meds then and there and we could only leave once it was in somewhat normal range. I thank you for your help :P

• HadIt.com Elder

The rating board. That's good. According to how busy your VA Regional Office is, is what will determine a "time frame" for your husband's rating.

Generally, if your claim has "gone to the rating board" then they actually have something TO rate. Good sign. At least not a flat-out denial.

If he has SMR (Service Medical Records) indicating HBP while in the Navy, then that is very good (it means that his HBP occurred while in the service and that he, obviously, did not have HBP "existing prior to" his service). And, you would obviously have a connection (nexus) to his service and, you also have medical evidence connecting his stroke to his HBP.

Now, do not take what I am about to say and go buy a new car on credit! But, it does sound like he has a viable claim, and for them to rate him anything but TDIU with A&A would be a travesty...........which, sometimes, the VA is very good at travesty(s).

BTW, welcome and please keep us posted.

• HadIt.com Elder

Good Luck whatever they do gives you options that you did not have before.