VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Please Help Will I Get An Increase ?

Rate this question

wfsndkm

Question

I was d/c'd from USN May 1991 after serving 6.5 yrs for Schizzoaffective disorder. Over the years I went back to work and was very successful until around 2004 when I steadily declined to the point in which I attempted suicide and was in a come for two weeks. I was in and out of several hospitals none of which were va. I underwent a series of 20-25 ECT's with some relief but not for long. I reapplied for SSDI and was approved right away and applied for increase in disability. I received numerous more ECT's through until I stopped after of 50 in 2007. I suffer terrible memory issues in addition to other new illness due to my shizzoaffective disorder such as drug abuse, hep c and hearing issues.

With Social Security not only approving once but twice can the VA actually deny my claim. In addition to the above metion issues. Was denied due to no domumentation reflecting a decline in condition.

Thank you

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

If your SSD is based on SC issue's then the VARO will have a hard time explaining why they refuse to increase your award to either 100% or 70%TDIU if your symptoms prevent you from working. If you have already filed for an increase and they denied it, I suggest you make sure they have all your treatment records VA and civilian for the past few years amd a copy of your SSD award letter showing what they disabled you for, you may want to consider getting a lawyer if they have denied you. you are netitled to attornies now if they deny you after June 2007, they can only charge you 20% and I would rather have 80% of something than 100% of nothing.

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with TestVet. If you are having severe mental problems then it makes sense to hire a lawyer to help you with your claim. If you were discharged due to your mental disorder, and now are on SSD because of it I can't see how they are denying you 100% or TDIU. The VA will take advantage of the severely mentally impaired vets to deny them on baseless reasons knowing they have a hard time fighting back due to their disability. Since your claim probably involves large retro payments you should not have that much trouble getting a lawyer to represent you. It is easy for a severely immpaired person to miss deadlines and not to be able to put their claim together to get the highest rating.