!! Advice given is in no way a substitute for consulting with a competent Veterans law firm, such as one on the NOVA advocate website !! ×
VA Disability Claims Community Forums - Hadit.com
  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Service Connected Arthritis 5 Years After Retirement?

86Spider

Question

I just submitted my claim forms for arthritis, I retired from the Air Force 5 years ago and there was no record of arthritis then but I have it now! My VA Dr. has perscribed medication and taken x-rays of my neck, shoulder and knee. I do have a service connected rating for my knee and back. I think the arthritis is somehow related because I am fairly young for this.....

Any idea if this has been done, what I should do, or any advice?

Thanks.........

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

It certainly could be secondary to your SC conditions.

I would file a claim as secondary-if I were you and then try to get a medical opinion to support that the arthritis is more than likely due to the SC problems.

86spider,

Thanks for your service and welcome to Hadit.

Do you know what Diagnostic Codes (DC) the VA granted your Service Connection (SC) under for

your knee and back disability, also what type of arthritis are you currently diagnoised under ?

This information will help you and members at Hadit provide answers and possible guidance.

jmho,

carlie

Thanks Carlie!

I just recieved an 18 page packet from the VA asking for a Statement in Support of Claim and Authorization and Consent to Release Information....

As far as Diagnostic codes; It appears they are looking at 5003 Degenerative Arthritis

I have a hard time doing simple things, for instance driving. My neck hurts so bad after an hour I need to rest it on the head rest of our minivan, I can't sit for any lenght of time without getting up and moving my left knee or it will cramp up.....I'm too young for this kind of arthritis pain!!

86spider,

I'm new to all this so please be patient. I was diagnosed with Rheumatiod Arthritis @ 18. I entered the AF and almost a year later was diagnosed. No health problems my entire life I had never even been to the doc's but for well checks. Anyway, they now don't know what kind of arthitis I have. One year it's rheumatiod the next soriatic (I've never had a rash). The doc's say it does not mater but it does to me so I have been trying to find out what kind I have. I'm taking enbrell now it works good. Even took it during pregnancy. I'm now 33.

OK, while looking I have noticed a lot of AF vets have arthrits. There is a type of arthritis called REACTIVE arthritis. It is caused by bacteria (and other ways) but it was not possible for me to get it any other way. You can get bacteria in your colon that can cause arthritis. If you have anything eles wrong like IBS. You may want to look into this. I'm sure all your pain is related to arthritis. I have no advice for you on how to convince the VA. I can't seem to word my claim right to get them to look at what needs to be looked at.

Good Luck,

Jess

Hi Jess,

I was reading your reply and I thought would share some information. I have been diagnosed some type reactive arthritis myself. Mine came about because of knee surgery this year and my knee didn't like it. I am former Marine and was in the middle east for a year and half.Who knows?? Might be a connection because of some bacteria, but they are many possible things that can cause it. Well I'm being treated with steroids to keep the inflammation down, I hope it heals good. Below are some links if anyone is interested in researching the condition.

http://www.medicinenet.com/reactive_arthritis/article.htm

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/reactive-arthritis/DS00486

Thanks

• HadIt.com Elder

Okay, I'm going to tell you what the "creative quacks" at the VAMC put down on my C&P when I tried to get my knee, lower back and hip SC'd to my SC'd ankle/foot. "There is no current medical literature/documentation connecting arthritis in one joint (in this case, my ankle) to any other joint, either concommitant or bi-lateral..". In other words, the C&P's won't give you comp for arthritis in your knee, if you have the worst possible case of arthritis in that ankle, or in any of the other (in my case) joints of the lower body.

AH-HAH! They WILL have to, on the other hand, rate your arthritis in your (in my case, knee, hip and lower back) if you have an ANTALGIC GAIT, thereby putting stress on these other joints caused by the way you have to walk due to your (in my case, again) ankle/foot (it helps if the VA has FOUND that you have an antalgic gait and, because of your anbnormal gait, have issued you, say, an ankle/foot orthosis or a rollator or even a cane..).

BINGO!

Edited by LarryJ (see edit history)