VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Advice About My Life, Tdiu, School.

Rate this question

101airborne

Question

After reading hundred of threads on here and seeing how difficult the VA is, I am in need of some advice from everyone. My C&P exam is in a week. I applied for an increase in PTSD and I also filled for TDIU. My life is pretty shitty but I'm sure I'll get upgraded to 70% or 100%. I'm planning on getting married next August. I've done about 1 years worth of college so far. School starts in a month. I got accepted into a Sports program at a University in Denver. I Figure the only thing I would find joy in is being a PE teacher.

Honestly, should I go after this or should I just sit and wait to see if I get the 100 percent and TDIU. I'm almost certain if the VA see's I'm going to school, they will take away my TDIU and possible decrease my percentage, rating. Being 25, I'm at a turning point in my life where I need to make a decision. Is anyone out there with 100% and TDIU happy? Is that 35 grand enough to support a family, for the rest of my life or would you trade it all in to be able to work and do something you love.

I don't know if the VA will decide my TDIU along with my new rating after my c&p next week or if it's a separate process that can take longer. Any insight on this would be good from yall. Honestly what does everyone think? Normally, I would wait around and see my rating but school starts in less than a month and I'm miserable when I feel like I'm going no where and doing nothing but waiting. The tough part is, I don't even know if I'm capable of working, let alone, being a teacher but it honestly scares me to not have a job and to get married and have kids and every letter I get in the mail, I will worry it's the VA trying to decrease my rating thus eventually leaving me with no direction, no degree, and no hope.

Give it to me strait, What's yall's opinion. Thanks for being my family Hadit.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

101airborne, you have asked some questions that are not easy for someone else to answer but I will give you some of my personal opinions and you are free to take them for what they are worth.

Not knowing you, I don't know how your PTSD affects you personally. I do know there are no guarantees of TDIU from the VA and there are no guarantees of percentage increases. If you get TDIU, 35k or so is not a lot of money to raise a family on these days. If you are unable to work at all, it is a good lifeline though.

I was awarded 70% for PTSD and SSDI just recently but I was able to work for many years even though I knew I had problems. I expect to be declared IU soon. I would trade both to be able to work again and I am 60 years old. Being on TDIU at age 25 and not being able to do any work your entire life will be no picnic. But if you are not capable of working at all then you probably don't have much choice.

Personally, I would try school and work first before I gave up on the idea. Go into it with a positive attitude and tell yourself that "you can do it". If it doesn't work for you the other option is still on the table. If you go directly to TDIU, you lose your options to work. It will be a long life ahead for you in that case

Regardless of what you decide or what path you may be forced to take, I wish you the best of luck and I appreciate your service to this great country.

BO

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA is supposed to treat going to school as Voc Rehab and its not supposed to interfere with your rating. Its a fine line as most with 70% or higher can start all types of new adventures but its hard to finish.

Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder

If I was a young person I think I would try to find some career before I just settled on IU or 100%. I don't know how bad off you really are because only you know that. The money from the VA is enough to live a pretty basic lifestyle. If I was 25 I would not want to settle for being 100% for the next 50 years if I could do something else. However, I would probably go slowly to make sure I could actually finish my education and do the work. Maybe take general classes and find out if something really turns you on and then pursue it. If you have a private doctor I would talk to him about your condition.

• HadIt.com Elder
go to schedular 100 iu you can work until 20 years go by

Alpha, Please get your own questions about TDIU answered first, before you start advising others. ~Wings

hit alpha,

I don't know where your digging up your information but it is

wrong, wrong, wrong !

If a claimant is rated IU and returns to the work force, there are no protection regs

that come into play.

carlie