Jump to content
!! Advice given is in no way a substitute for consulting with a competent Veterans law firm, such as one on the NOVA advocate website !! ×
VA Disability Claims Community Forums - Hadit.com
  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.


  • question-001.jpeg

    Have Questions? Get Answers.

    Tips on posting on the forums.

    1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.
    2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.
      Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.
    Leading too:

    exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.
    • Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?
    • Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?
    This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • VA Watchdog

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

  • 0

How To Make Withdrawals From A 401k Due To Permanent Disability



I have a 401K that I want to withdraw and want to confirm if I can use VA Form 21-0172 to avoid the 10% penelty for withdrwing early ( I'm younger 59 1/2). I called the VARO and the lady I spoke with never heard of VA Form 21-0172. She said that she had to ask a supervisor and got all my info. Has anyone here used this form before? I'm 100% P&T.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • HadIt.com Elder

Here is what I did.

Contacted my employee administrator at work. Had them to contact the 401K bank and have them refund your 401K account.

DO a disability withdrawal. They will send you a 1099 and it will have the amount and the 20 percent. The 10 percent will no t be on there. There is a box with certain codes on the 1099 that should have the correct code in it.

I was charged the extra 10 percent fromt he bank and I had to threaten to sue bank and employer befoire they got it right.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow that is crazy that you would have to threaten with a lawsuit. My old empolyer says that I have to deal directly with Merill since I no longer work for them. I contacted them and they say I can get 80% and that I'll have to deal with the IRS about the 10% penelty. So do I need Merril Lynch to write it up as a hardship withdrawl?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HadIt.com Elder

Maybe you should talk to a CPA or tax lawyer to see just what you have to do and how to avoid the penalty. You can roll the 401-K money over into an IRA and pay no tax. Then you would not be dealing with all the 401-K stuff. You would still have the tax problems, but the money would be under your direct control instead of a 401-K administrator. If you have a standard pension you can roll that payout amount into an IRA as well. It is always better to have the money under your control I think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use