VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Emg

Rate this question

john999

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I had an EMG today because my feet hurt so much. The VA said there was no nerve damage in my feet or pinched nerves. So I guess I am cured. Can you have peripheral neuropathy and yet not show any damage on an EMG? I have miserable pain in my feet and sometimes lose my balance, but VA now says my nerves are fine. Feelings of numbness,pain and tingling are not totally objective. I worry the VA will decide I do not have diabetic neuropathy and cut off my pain meds. I have been for a lot of tests this last two weeks and my subjective pain is not really reflected in my objective findings from MRI and EMG, but I still have miserable pain in my feet and back. I get sick of doctors telling me that my findings are normal and, yet, I hurt, and the VA does not adequately treat my pain. I don't believe that these pain doctors know what they are doing, and just want big bucks to do procedures like nerve blocks that may or may not work.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

John, and both EMG's and nerve conduction studies are worthless, barbaric medical tests that provide little to no information. If you have any muscle guarding at all, it will greatly skew the results. Muscle guarding will show up as a lack of nerve damage. Show me someone with a orthopedic problem who does not have muscle guarding. I wouldn't worry.

I had an EMG today because my feet hurt so much. The VA said there was no nerve damage in my feet or pinched nerves. So I guess I am cured.

John999, I have misspoken. I said I had an EMG. I had a nerve conduction test that proved PN. My symptoms are the same as yours.************** "Can you have peripheral neuropathy and yet not show any damage on an EMG? I have miserable pain in my feet and sometimes lose my balance, but VA now says my nerves are fine. Feelings of numbness,pain and tingling are not totally objective."*************

My pain got worse over time and near the end of my work life the feet were swollen and painful by 9am, with 8 more hours to go. <ahttp://www.hadit.com/forums/uploads/emoticons/default_angry.png' alt=':angry:'> Ricky may have hit the nail on the head. "John did you have a simple emg or nerve conduction study? ". I also have bad disc shown by an MRI. I turned that in to VA as I knew they would get it anyway from SSD. I understand that pain of PN goes down the front of the leg and disc the back of the leg. I have some of both (lucky me).Point is all my success with doctors stems from that one nerve conduction test. I gave copies to ever doctor I saw, they all put it in their notes. <ahttp://www.hadit.com/forums/uploads/emoticons/default_rolleyes.gif' alt=':rolleyes:'> I have a good tolerance for pain. Had a burst appendix that was not found for 10 days. People are different. 98.6 is a rule of thumb. You might run 97 or 99 and be normal. I am sorry for your pain. The reason I had the MRI is because the doctors did not seem to think that PN should be so bad. I had hope that it was something that could be fixed!I think I would go to the best nerve doctor in Tampa and get an IMO nerve test. Hard for them to argue with FACTS. Surround & Overwhelm. Do you think Overwhelm comes from the German? <_<

Has anyone mentioned multiple sclerosis? My MS symptoms started with only my left hand numbness with pain. Now Almost my entire body has some degree of numbness with on and off pain. I had a EMG when only my hand was numb and the EMG was negative. A nuerologist that deals with MS would believe you when it comes to pain.

Edited by otey2171