VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Another Vet's Suicide

Rate this question

Berta

Question

http://www.veteransforcommonsense.org/ArticleID/10703

"A distraught 26-year-old Navy veteran who had a history of mental illness hanged himself within three hours of seeking help at Spokane Veterans Affairs Medical Center. The July 7 death of Lucas Senescall was the sixth suicide this year of a veteran who had contact with the Spokane VA, a marked increase in such deaths"

Disgraceful-----and utterly disgusting to think that the VA

still cannot assess suicidal veterans properly.

I hope the family sues them for MILLIONS!

And I hope this story has gotten to the House Committee on Veterans Affairs-to put more pressure on VA to do their jobs-

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Theres alot of problems with medications at this facility.

Theres been several times i've nearly died from it or sudden withdrawals from it. They treated me for depression side of bipolar with paxil, but not the mainia. Made me suicidal and nearly lost my marrage. For over a decade my life was a living hell from lack of proper treatment at the Spokane VAMC.

They would consistantly be late on sending medications or not send them at all for a months supply. They forgot to renew my meds and was late sending everything, thyriod meds, antidepression, methadone for two weeks. I ended up driving the 150 miles to Spokane emergency I was so bad. Thought I was going crazy after no sleep for three days.

They turned me away. Refused to treat me. I drove all night and ended up over by Seattle before I went into a private ER.

• HadIt.com Elder

I know that VA is far to caviler about Veteran suicides but if someone is determined to do it not really much anyone can do. Its hard to blame VA when this long drug out War that see's no end is probably the reason.

• HadIt.com Elder

I partially disagree Pete,

If the VAMC is not useing the right medications, expermental medications, over medicating, under medicating and mixing meds known to cause sucides? Than they should be held acountible in pushing a vet with suicidal tendencies over the edge. Vets with brain injuries, PTSD need to be carefully attended to, not left in the wind to figure it out.

I agree there are those that have made up their minds no matter what, but much of whats going on with the VA can be prevented by people doing what they're paid to do.

Mental health on the cheap, is like fighting a war on the cheap.

can't blame the war on suicidal vets. not all vets committing suicide or even contemplating suicide are because of the current war. i battle severe suicidal thoughts regularly because of MST PTSD...nothing to do with the current war.....perhaps a different kind of war if you will. i had to battle a fellow service member and i lost. a battle no one should ever have to fight.

now i have to battle the VA when they want to hospitalize me on a mental health ward with all men. nothing against any of the men here....but i have obvious HUGE trust issues with men and they insist on locking me up with all men? does not compute. it only makes me worse. i'm battleing that now. fighting be hospitalized once again...the VA refuses to send me to a civilian hospital where there are women...it's a big difference.

so please don't be so quick to blame all of these suicides on the war. it's so far from the truth.

• HadIt.com Elder

Im sorry to hear that purple. That makes it very difficult to get help. I have a huge trust issue with anyone.

Have you requested fee basis, or spoke with your team social worker at the VAMC?

Sometimes they are able to set things up that others can't.

allan

i have request fee-basis and have been denied. grounds? they (men in charge) say that "services are available at the Dayton VAMC"

as far as speaking with a "team social worker"? what/who is that? the Dayton VAMC doesn't have those....they are so short-staffed it's ridiculous.