VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Spousal Aid And Attendance

Rate this question

shrlee

Question

My father-in-law passed away February

I filed for DIC and AA for my 81 year old mother-in-law. We received the papers yesterday they granted her the DIC but denied Aid and Attendance.

She lives alone. She has what her dr has described as memeroy loss, which I think is putting her condition lightly, considering she has accidently overdosed on her meds.(E.R. visit) because she forgot she took her meds or she forgets to take them. We try not to let her cook because leaves the gas burners on the stove (burning her pots and pans), forgets to eat and forgets she ate, leaves frozen food out until it thaws then returns it to the frig. She calls at least six times a day for us to adjust her central heat and air because she continuously turns it way up or way down. My husband and I cook her meals and administer her meds twice a day. We do her house cleaning, yard work, shopping and paying of bills. All of this was reported to VA along with her dr's letter, stating memory loss, breathing problems, arthritis. If you meet her you would think she was a shy elderly lady, but if you spend time talking to her you will see she doesn't know the day, month, year, how old she is, etc. or the conversation she had two minutes earlier. I am not complaining, she's our mother and we will take care of her needs. But I was looking forward to her receiving the AA comp so we could hire someone to give us a break a few times a month. I am aware we can appeal their denial but at this time I don't have the energy to fight.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Sorry for the loss of your Father-in-law.

Also sorry for the denial but A&A for a spouse is really not that much money. I am not sure about it with DIC. All anyone can do when dealing with VA is to appeal, work on the claim and don't give up. I am sure that there is an answer or solution to the problem.

Have you tried talking to a VA Social Worker to see if they have any suggestions? I think that her DIC entitles her to Medical and if it does maybe they can give her some help with visits to home.

I wish I knew exactly and I will monitor this thread cause I would like to earn more myself.

Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder

My aunt got A&A and DIC, but she was in a nursing home. I don't think the A&A for a spouse is that much money. I know it put only a tiny dent in my aunt's payment to the nursing home. She had SSA, a teacher's pensin, DIC and A&A and it alll went to the nursing home with nothing left over. I think if a person is in a assisted living home they could get A&A. That seems obvious, but that might not be so obvious to the VA.

• HadIt.com Elder

$ 129 a month is not chicken feed it should be helpful. In an earlier post I said it was not much but I think that I was wrong. Its only about 300 bucks for a Veteran.

I apologize for being cranky I am worried about my Grand Daughter who keeps getting a high fever every night.

Rich it is nice to see you post I consider you the expert here on all the letter awards.