VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Heat Stroke And Special Ops

Rate this question

FeWolf

Question

Greetings All,

I am having some trouble with Heat related injuries, I have 32 heat injuries, 5 heat strokes requiring MedVac, and was sent to 2 medical boards which I fought to stay in service, now that I am out, I have had several heat injuries and have to be very aware of my exposure to heat. I sent 3 years in the Jungles of Central and South America, and several months in the 1st Gulf War. I was wondering if anyone any succues with filing a clain, the VA denied me with even looking at my records!

I also have a bullet wound in my right shoulder, but because of Classified operations in South and Central America I recieved no Purple Heart.

I an Ambush I was knocked in the mouth, breaking my teeth, afterwards, I was MediVACed out because of a infection to my gum, tooth that closed my eyes, the Special Forces Medic was concerned that I would have a stroke, I have had 13 operations and proccedures on my mouth, when I was on active Duty the VA did my final surgery because Ft Bragg, NC dental clinic could not and the VA had UNC Dentist coming 2x week.

My records are lost, dentaland most of the treatments I recieved where by Special Forces Field Medics, so not paper trail.

I suffer from PTSD, and I am sent to every PTSD program the VA has to offer as a test patient.

But the VA diened any claim, I can not verify, because of Top Serect CLearance and mission, Freedom of Information gets me a Black inked records. I do not understand why they treat me for my illness but will not take my claim. My Miltary records in South and Central America are the day I arrived and the day I leave, and they do not even match, those 3 yrs are no awards or promotion, but the day I am back in country (USA), my 2 promotion show up, post dated.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

My daughter had Top Secret clearance for her entire military service and has it now as a Federal employee.

She was told (because she sure asked) how her classified records would be handled in the event she ever had a VA claim and was told that this would not be a problem to verify info in them.

Also she has her SMRs anyhow.

Vietnam itself has been entirely declassified- our former hadit member-attorney Alex Humphrey always pointed out to me that, in event of something still classified for a TS Vietnam vet claim, NARA has an individual whose sole job is to declassify it for VA purposes.I believe any Special Ops anywhere at all (I know SOps vets) would be handled the same way.

Can you specifically state here how the VA worded their denial?

Have you yourself attempted via a DD 149 and a SF 180 to get your military records and to have your DD 214 correced as to the PH?

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have any proof of being a combat vet the VA more than likely will accept your version of events regarding injuries sustained in combat. If you had that many heat strokes you did well to get the heck out of the service before it killed you. I know that heat was deadly in Vietnam. There were more heat injuries than enemy injuries.

Just to add- there are many Special Ops classified vets cases at the BVA-in part this 2006 case shows what the VA can do:

"The RO should ask the NPRC to

provide the remainder of the veteran's

extant military personnel records, to

include the Airman Performance Reports

which cover the other periods of his

active service, and any documents

related to his security clearance and

access to classified information. All

available records should be provided"

Let me just say this about this situation.

I at one time held a Top Secert SCI clearance and I have no idea if it effected the release of my records, but I will say this.

In 1984, I was informed to request a copy of all my military records ( I had left the service in Dec 82).

This person told me to request them though the NSA and I did (now I have been told thats impossible, but I did) and recieved a hugh packet that had all my Clearance's and the people they interview (just the SS blackout)medical records (even the one where I was in the hositipal in Nam for what they call "Battle Fatigue").

You wouldn't believe what they had...

Well, to make a long story short, with the events of time and many move's two marriages and going back in the service and retiring and working for the Federal government as a Fed employee (retire from there in 2002 and military 1994) and held a Secert clearance Final).

I had misplace lost what ever, but to this day I can't find most of those records.

So I wrote to the NSA, (2003) to see if I could get those records again,

well their answer was, who are you? You don't exist, we don't carry personnel records here except for our own!! So I appeal their deceision and got the same results. (I know where I requested those records from), they told me to check with the FBI, I hey-haw around and finally did it this year and guess what? I don't exist with the FBI either.

Here I held a Top Secert SCI clearance (you's can't go much higher), then as the job change and out of the military and working for the Feds, I only had a Secert Clearance and that was a "FINAL" in which means the FBI has check you out!! I also spent some time as the security officer for my unit ( I was a Warrant ). So I kinda knew the drill.

Also I know this, everytime I write St. Louis for my records ( I do it every two yrs or so, just to see if anything shows up), well my records get smaller and smaller..I'm sure soon I won't exist there also.

So I can understand some of what the guy is saying, however, there are buddy statements that can verify some of what he is saying, you don't have to go into detail..but, it might be enough to state your case.

Good Luck

Dennis

Good point DMAN- a buddy statement could help this help here-

also- when he mil pays you men and women- the paycheck goes to you where you are serving (I think- I am civilian)

Although it might be very hard to get old military pay stubs records, this too could often be a way to somehow prove where you were when if VA questions that in a claim.

There are so many unit web sites on the net these days and even reunion rosters that finding a buddy isnt as hard as it used to be.

still not easy but not impossible-

An SRB (service record book) also shows destinations and arrivals and this along with any signature on a DD 214 can reveal perhaps a name of someone who could be found and who could prepare a buddy statement.

The ambush you were in could certainly have been documented in a Morning Report.

When the VA denied did they in fact try to confirm your claim via JSRRC (jpoint Services Records Research Center)

The bullet wound is an obvious PTSD stressor and

A GSW is a confirmed stressor.

A buddy statement could help you considerably as to the GSW (claim any residuals of this such as scarring, painful or limited motion etc, ), the heat stroke problems (if you have chronic ratable residuals, and the PTSD claim.